For people who shop at Wal Mart and discount stores like Dollar General, Family Dollar, Big Lots, etc.

Have you ever noticed how Wal Mart is cheaper for a lot of things than places like Dollar General? I had to buy kitten food today and I went to Wal Mart first, because it's like $7 or $8 for a 7lb bag of food. They were still out,completely (they were out yesterday, too). Well, the cats were totally out of food except what was in their bowl, so I stopped at Dollar General and got a bag. It was like $5 for the smaller bags that have about 3lb in them.

Anyone else ever notice stuff like that? It seems like someplace that advertises how cheap they are would actually be cheaper than bigger stores, IMO.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have noticed that the dollar stores seem to be more expensive than a regular store. I think we get into the mindset that this one store is the cheapest for certain items- and instead of comparison shopping, we just assume that we're always getting the best deal.

That said, I think you can get some killer deals at Dollar stores- but only if you know how much the item should cost before buying.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh, yeah, Dollar General is a rip off.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I shop at the PX/BX for the army! Tax free , so it works out alot better...LOL But i love walmart too!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yup, thats why I love walmart. The convience of having everything that I need, namebrand or not, and all in one store!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I never go to Dollar General, for they are a rip. WHY that place is even called Dollar General - who knows. When I am truly looking for $1 items (like for my class) I go to the Dollar Tree. Yes, most of my shopping is done at Wal Mart.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have never noticed that before, but I know Dollar General is a rip off so I rarely shop there.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Most things they are cheaper on but some things, like your cat food, they are more expensive. If you are in the store already to buy underwear that's cheaper than walmart then you see you need catfood so u just pick it up without thinking about the price. Or you assume it's cheaper because the underwear was and don't question. That's their sneaky way of making money. Hope I'm making sense.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yeah, that's why I mostly shop at Wal-Mart. And only buy certain things from the other stores. LOTS of people don't realize and really think they are getting a deal at the other stores.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Dollar General and Family Dollar rip off the customers they cater to. The very young, very old fixed or strictly limited income. They market to make them think they are giving them a great deal when it simply isn't so. They also strategically open store in walking distance close to apartments and lower income housing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I always go to target or something...I hate walmart with a passion so I refuse to spend any money there!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010