Is it normal for my 9 year old daughter to get so sad sometimes, she worries about dying, growing up, etc, you name it.

My 9 year old has started getting very sad at times, usually at night, but not always. It really got bad when she attended Bible School this summer. After that week, she was so worried about everyone dying and being good, going to heaven etc. She has always said she doesn't want to grow up, she wants to live with me forever, etc. But this is worse, she gets sad if she sees a toy from when she was little, she was very sad about her 4 year old sister starting school, she asks if she plays with her siblings enough, do we take good care of our dog? She just worries, worries, worries. Some nights I'll find her in her bed crying, I try to be patient, but it's really getting old. It's not that I just don't want to deal with it, I'm more frustrated cause I don't know if she is depressed, if it's normal for her age or she partly just wants attention. Help, please. I know nothing has happened to her, she's been up my butt all summer.

jennypenny3000

Asked by jennypenny3000 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• well its not for attention, I know that. I used to be the same way. I'm still scared to grow up and die, but its getting better with age and the fact that I'm really busy most the time.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Hormones! Just think about how you felt during and after pregnancy with you hormones all out of whack. She is just experiencing that for the first time. It is hard coming of age and all of that.
    Just reassure her and help her to think things through and to reason them out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I do not think it is normal for a kid this age to worry about these things, maybe she could benefit from some counseling, because at the rate she is going by the time she is older she will be a wreck. A 9 year old should be carefree and enjoying being her age.

Answer by older at 2:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• hhmmm. I sometimes think the Bible schools are a little much for kids, especially really bright ones. The idea of other people going to hell can be really overwhelming. It sounds like she needs to hit a therapist or some counseling for a few sessions for some grounding.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i would get her in to talk to someone you don't normally get that till teen years
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• you might want to talk to her Dr i wish i had other advice for you but i am not sure what to tell you. i will be bumping this question in case someone else has an answer for you. hugs and hang in there
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think its just that she is starting to understand how life works alittle. she is starting to realize that she will have to grow up and eventually everyone dies. I remember being sad, afraid and scared when I became overwhelmed with thoe thoughts.
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 2:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I was like that when I was her age. I still am. :-) I don't think Bible school or going to church was good for me. I am always so worried about dying and being good and not hurting anyone and feeling inferior that it prevents me from really enjoying life. And people who know that take advantage of it and will make me feel guilty for everything,even when it isn't MY fault. I sympathize with her.
    I don't know if it is normal or not but it happens.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thank you all, on one hand I think she is just really smart and thinks too much. But all her issues are things I myself have struggled with when i was depressed , so it really worries me. She has never ever heard me say anything about dying, etc, when I was depressed, it's just that I know as an adult I struggle with these same questions and thoughts. I can't imagine being 9 and realizing how short life is, etc. I think I will set up some counseling for her.
    jennypenny3000

Comment by jennypenny3000 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Oh, and what do you mean that she has "been up your butt all summer" ? That sounds really harsh. Up your butt? I feel sorry for her.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010