Anyone from Gainesville?

Gainesville officials denied a burn permit for a church that plans to burn copies of the Quran on the ninth anniversary of the September 11 attacks. The Gainesville church, the Dove World Outreach Center, has a history of inflammatory comments and campaigns against Islam and remained defiant despite the burn permit denial.

In an e-mail sent out Wednesday, the church said, “City of Gainesville denies burn permit – BUT WE WILL STILL BURN KORANS.”

Under the city’s fire protection ordinances, the open burning of books is not allowed. The city’s fire chief, Gene Prince, told a local news station that the “church will be finedif it holds the book burning.” Mayor Craig Lowe, who has in the past referred to the church as a “tiny fringe group and an embarrassment to our community,” told The Gainesville Sun that he supports the officials’ in denying the book burning.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not from Gainesville, FL (I do live not THAT far from Gainesville, GA, however :-) ) and I think that's CRAZY!!! What is burning the Koran going to do to help their cause?
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 3:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Being a diehard Buckeye. I will be the first to say Gainesville sucks. ;p
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm not from Gainesville either.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Oh my goodness that is crazy, I lived in Lake City which was 45 mins from G-ville and thank goodness I left right before all of the crazy stuff started going down their alot more often.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I am not from Gainesville. Is that the only question?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010