Frozen chicken

Ok, so right now I have about 5lb of chicken breasts in the freezer. I'm not sure why my SO put them there, since there's no way we would use that much chicken at one time and we were planning to use it like two days after we bought it, but that's another story. What do I do with it? I mean, we'd probably use about half of the package for one meal, then it would be a few days before we would use the rest. Do I just thaw all of it in the fridge? What do I do with what's not used? Sorry to sound so dumb, I've just never had this problem before since we always bought small packages before.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'd thaw it out in a large cold bowl. Then tonight you can separate it accordingly to how much you need per meal. Make sure and freeze it asap once you can separate it. It doesn't need to be thawed completely to separate either. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Defrost it all and make a double or triple batch of whatever you were going to make for dinner and then freeze the extra. Then you have a meal ready to pull out and heat and eat.
    Or you can put the other half in a crockpot and cook it for several hours with garlic, salt pepper, onions and when it is done, shred it for bbq chicken sandwiches or tacos or salads... Freeze it small amounts and you always have a lean source of protein ready to eat.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You can freeze it after you cook it too - I buy a few pounds, have DH grill it all, then slice the breast and freeze - then I can just pull out a few strips for a salad or a whole bowl for pasta or whatever any time. You can do the same thing baked or fried - whatever you like, just cook, cool, and freeze, then it's ready to heat & eat when you want another chicken meal.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would thaw it all and then slice it all up and cook it with onions, garlic salt and pepper and freeze it into portions, then you can use it for anything from stir fry, to chicken fetticini to fajitas
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You HAVE to cook it all before you refreeze. Thaw it, season it. grill all of it, eat half for one meal and have salad the next night.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2010