Is it safe to give a 4.5 month old Ibuprofen?

Our son is teething and refuses to put anything cold in his mouth.. We have used infant Tylenol in the past and it does not seem to be working anymore. We also use the homeopathic infant tablets but those are not working either. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

Lisa.Price

Asked by Lisa.Price at 2:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, not until 6 months!!!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would consult your pediatrician for the appropriate dosage and for his/her recommendations.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Have you tried baby Orajel? That works great for our son, even if he gives us a funny look when we use it. I don't think ibuprofen is safe for infants until they are 6 months, if I remember correctly. I received good advice recently on a toy that you don't put in the fridge that is great for teething. It's called the Sophie giraffe, and it's amazing. Our son has to have it every day now. It's rubber based, so it's soft on their gums and teeth and is attractive and easy for little hands to hold. I highly recommend trying that. It's a little more expensive than most teething toys, but well worth the price. If you have dogs, however, keep it away from them as it does have a squeaker in it! :) Good luck mama!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I thought that 6 months was when it was safe, just wanted to see if anyone else was told otherwise.. Kathria I will have to try that! At this point, the cost doesn't matter if it means that he will get some relief!
    Lisa.Price

Comment by Lisa.Price (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Try motrine
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If he doesn't like the cold, have you tried a warm wet wash cloth? Maybe with a little breast milk squirted on it to chew? Heat sometimes soothes too.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• NO ORAJEL. Your baby is too young. Orajel numbs everything but where the pain is and can numb the throat. It makes teething worse. put some in your own mouth to see what I mean.

The best thng is to wear your baby upright in a wrap/sling (lying down makes mouth pain worse), keep active (do chores go for a walk wearing baby), nurse if breastfeeding, and patience and affection. Avoid medication, it doesn't last and you can easily over medicate. Clean fingers dipped in ice water is the best teether you have!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Not till 6 months on the ibuprofen or motrin. Cold frozen washcloths and teething tablets work well :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010