24% in a poll believe Obama is a Muslim, my questions are:

1. Why do people believe Obama is a Muslim?
2. I know he had a Muslim father, does that automatically make him Muslim?
3. It's my understanding from a former Muslim that in order to be a Muslim officially, you have to recite what is called the shahada (sp?), which is a profession of faith.
4. If he's Muslim, why attend a Christian church (United Church of Christ) for over 20 years?

For the record: Right now, I don't believe Obama is a Muslim because I have no concrete proof.

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 3:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 1. Why do people believe Obama is a Muslim?
    Well I have heard a few reason why some believe this. The main two I have heard is his father and step father were Muslim and that they believe he went to a Muslim Madrassa.

There is a such thing as "Muslim Born"... Born to Muslim parents. Muslim converts find this term offensive because they feel it means they are less of a Muslim.

Yes it is the most important of the 5 pillars.... but I am not sure if "Muslim Born" HAVE to recite it. I know Muslim converts do.

Rev Wright is said to have been Muslim. Also this is a statement SIGNED by him
    c
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Its all propaganda aimed at reducing him to a terrorist. Alot of folks think he's not American too!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm not going to answer all of these questions, but my dad was raised Catholic, my mom was raised Protestant and I was raised just to believe God with no religious upbringing otherwise. At this point, I'm not sure I believe in God at all.

You are what you are brought up to be, or what you yourself end up believing in. No matter what his parents were, whatever you believe is what you are. If he believes in the Christian way of life, then that's what he is. The beliefs of your parents do not reflect on the children. My parents are racist and I very much am not. Why pin a label on someone that they haven't already agreed belongs to them?

This goes back to the whole stupid "Obama isn't an American citizen" debate, which is also ridiculous. I don't see why people won't just let it go. It's been proven he is a citizen. People need to go find something else to pick on him about.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• As the son of the Muslim father, Senator Obama was born a Muslim under Muslim law as it is universally understood. It makes no difference that, as Senator Obama has written, his father said he renounced his religion. Likewise, under Muslim law based on the Koran his mother’s Christian background is irrelevant."

Since we dont live under "Muslim Law" what does that matter? He's a Christian

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think 24% of Americans have been reading those radical websites---the anti-democrat,anti-everything except Conservative Christians WEBSITES and believe all the crap because it is easier to be a mindless sheep , and they are using those details instead of admitting they are just prejudced. Know what I mean?.
    He isn't a Muslim and he was born in Hawaii....get used to it people!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

Because everything you see on the internet is absolute truth.
    I would hope not. My parents were Christian, and I wouldn't want people to think I'm associated with the Christian faith because of their beliefs.
    I don't know enough about this to comment.
    Ah, a very good question...
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• People believe it because its easier to hate him that way. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other...I have no reason to think he is a "secret muslim" so i don't.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Here's a better question: Why does it matter what religion he is? I thought we had a "freedom of religion" in this country; it means you can practice any religion you choose, or none at all. So why is it a big deal?
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I just think it's funny, to see all of your knee-jerk reactions blasting my post, when my source was what is considered to be the liberal gold-standard of news sources"

Lori, the source is not the issue here. Muslim law is not recognized in the US. Nor is any religious law. So he could indeed be Muslim according to MUSLIM LAW. But that's just blood. Religious practice makes him apostate according to MUSLIM LAW. But Muslim law doesn't apply in the US.

I was baptized Catholic. However I have not considered myself a Catholic in 20 years. What determines my faith, a choice my PARENTS made, my birth, or my decision as an adult?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• "gdiamante .... the Muslim culture is far different than the Jewish culture. Plus, there is such a thing as an ethnic Jew (one who is born an Israeli), and a religious Jew. This distinction isn't made in Islam. There is no such thing as an ethnic Muslim. The ethnicity is Arab, the religion is Islam. Jewish Law may state that one can be of Jewish decent without being a Jew, but Islamic law doesn't do that. Their law recognizes the offspring of Muslim men as Muslim until a conversion is made .... and then it's followed up by a "mercy killing." "

Thanks for the explanation. It still brings me back to this: Muslim law can recognize whatever the heck it wants...isn't SELF-identification what truly matters in religious faith? I

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010