How do I know if my son is ready for potty training?

He knows what the potty is for and has even used it a few times for a candy. He turned 2 back in early May and when he did we tried potty training but now its hard to get him to sit on his potty. How do I know if he is ready and how do I start?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 3:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always put it out in the open let them get aquainted with the potty. He may just play with it at first. I also found it helpful to go the potty at the same time as them. Say "Its time to go potty" or "Mommy has to potty why don't you come with me". That sometime helps.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 3:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I waited until they were dry at night, then it was very easy. They already knew at that point what the potty was for, of course.

Answer by Bmat at 3:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• After 18 months, he should physically be ready to potty train. Just be patient and keep introducing him to the potty. I didn't use snacks or toys as encouragement - just words. I started around 2 and at 3, he only has the very occasional accident.
    dizziestdreamer

Answer by dizziestdreamer at 3:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• if he was not ready when he was 18 months. He is ready now. You just have to help him. does he go at day care or preschool?
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• When he wakes up dry from naps or at night
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010