How do I explain to them that we can't go to the Fair?

My husband is in the hospital. Prior to being admited to yesterday we had big plans to go to the fair. The kids were super excited. Unfortunely, with DH offically out of commision, there is no way I can brave the fair grounds with 5 children. IT wouldn't be smart, or safe. And due to havign to fork out way to much money of meds that only made things worse and help send him to the ICU, we are pretty much broke. Without skipping a bill.. we just don't have the extra funds anymore. To top it off, I've been running a low grade fever all morning... I just can't push myself anyfurther. I feel so crappy that we can't take them. My 4 and 3 and 2 yr old I'm pretty sure as long as we avoid the subject they wont think twice.. but my 6 yr old.. well he has been talking about going all week. How would you explain this to him if you were in my shoes?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 3:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just be honest with him. Explain that Daddy is sick and Mommy doesn't feel well either. Promise to do something fun when everyone is healthy and that you can go to the fair next year. Good luck.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• just tell him no! Thats that, your the parent what you say goes!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• just tell him. Tell him you are sorry that you won't be going,but daddy is sick. reassure him you'll do other fun things when daddy is better.
    He'll be sad, maybe mad, but this is life and he will get over it.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Can you leave the others with someone and take the 6 year old? Or Can someone else just take him? If not, just explain and he will be upset, but, he should be able to kind of comprehend.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Just tell him. State the facts, don't negotiate, just be honest and explain it to him. He's old enough to understand and respond appropriately. He'll be disappointed, but that's ok. It's a good lesson in doing what's right for the family, and it's never to young to learn that!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Just tell him dad's sick and that there's no fair trip this year. They handle it better than we think. I know you feel guilty but he'll understand. Don't get upset with him if he says he's disappointed, just tell him you understand and are too. That you'll try to go next year. You should tell them all at the same time. The younger ones may forget now but will remember and be upset later.
    I hope everything works out and you and your husband get better.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Don't worry. Just calmly explain "we are not going to the Fair, maybe next year". Kids adapt.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Tell him no becasue daddy is sick--and next time don't tell the kids that you are doing something until you are in the car going to do it. I have to do that because of my chronic headaches, that way if I am sick they didn't know they missed anything.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Just tell him the truth, tis a fine age to learn that plans don't always go as planned, it's a good life lesson
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• As one mom said, maybe take just the 6 year old or find something closer to home, cheaper and a little less stressful to take them all. I have 8 and there have been times where I have just taken the boys and other times just the girls, it works nicely and doesn't hurt the pocket book all at once.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010