Can you recommend something to me?

Could someone recomend a really good lotion or cream that is inexpensive and I can buy it easily in large amounts?

I have really bad dry skin that is also causing a scaly rash. It's all over. Dh says the skin on the back of my legs where I can't see use to look wheepy, then scaly and white with some red and now it looks like it's scaring a bit with it receding into the skin. It is very itchy.

I use to have this rash on my bottom too but desitin has cleared it up to where it is almost gone. I can't use this body wise however because I would need a lot and it will cost way too much. (plus the smell lol)

Please don't tell me to see a doc. I have no money or insurance. I just need some relief.

If anyone can recomend a really good inexpensive lotion or cream I can use everywhere I will be very greatful. :-)

Thanks so much for your time. :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in About CafeMom

• My mom works for a dermetologist and she is always bring home samples of CeraVe and Auqaphore. I know you can buy them at like walmart and stuff. I'm not sure how they are as far as price goes, but they might be a good place to start. The best thing about the Aquaphore is that you can even use it on your lips for chapped lips lol. I think that Aveeno and Oil of Olay might work too, but they have more smells and are less hard core, plus I think the Oil of Olay is pretty expensive.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Curel. It is awesome on that most of the time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Ouch, that doesn't sound like much fun, mama! I have used Olay lotion (purple bottle) and found that helps a lot for my dry skin. I also really, really like Gold Bond products. It's a little more expensive than some of the other ones, but keeps my skin really soft and smooth, more so than others I've used. However, I don't have the skin condition you have. For you, I'd really recommend something that is fragrance free, dye free, etc, something as natural as possible, because you might be having a reaction to the chemicals in other products. Watch your soap/body wash too. You might need to change that as well.

Feel better soon and good luck!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I also use Aquaphore for my sons face. It's gentle on his skin, but can turn a little bit greasy if you use too much. It's not terribly cheap either, but a very good product.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i would try to stop using soap all together. try a pure lotion...something with one ingredient. we use shea butter for my daughter. it is $9 at the health food store, but it will last a long time. we often get 20% off coupons in the mail too. two more things to get at the health food store are a good probiotic (about $40) and a good fish oil supplement (about $30) they are expensive but both very good for your overall health, and worth saving up for : )
    you also may want to consider using a dye free and unscented laundry detergent and fabric softner, and see if that makes a difference.
    my dd has bad reactions to soaps and lotions...i believe it is the coconut in them.
    this could also be a food allergy, try eliminating dairy, gluten and nuts...one at a time, and then re introduce them to see if there is a reaction. i have read that it takes 6 months to get gluten out of your system, but you should notice improvements sooner.GL
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Any type of cocoa butter. Many stores carry a generic brand.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You may be allergic to the soap/laundry detergent you are using - try that first (as happy2bmom25) suggests above.
    I use Woolite on all of my clothes and bedding - makes a big difference for me.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well personally I like Aveeno. It's not necessarily "cheap" but in the long run I think it is because you only need a small amount. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have seen the Desitin type creams at Dollar Tree. It is amazing what they get in.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2010