Diapers as a cover charge??

So i was given the idea to put in my baby shower invites...to bring a package of diapers as a cover charge, first of all is that a good idea?? Second if i do it then how do i word that in my invite without making people think..."can i still come if i cant afford diapers too" i dont want people to struggle with this if they cant afford to, but i really like the idea......advice please!!

melissa78155

Asked by melissa78155 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a game at my shower for everyone that brought a pack of diapers got entered in a drawing for a prize as well as the other games we played. So i wrote in the invites, bring a pack of diapers and be entered in a drawing for a prize :) I got nough diapers to last until he was 5.5 months. It works well :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think it's tacky. A cover charge is something to assist in paying for entertainment - so, unless you're having a live band or some other costly form of live entertainment at your baby shower, it's like saying "and bring 2 gifts, one of your choosing and one of mine"
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes, that would be asking people to bring 2 gifts ... and yes, it's tacky.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 3:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• TACKY TACKY TACKY

people should not have a "cover charge" for a shower, even if it s a joke

If I saw that on an invite, I wouldn't go
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with the previous ladies. A cover charge is for dance clubs, not for a shower. Besides, if you do this, don't be surprised if you have less people to show up and that some bring the cheapest, worst diapers around because of it. I've seen diapers being given as a gift (they are expensive!), so to ask for diapers and a gift, I really don't agree with it. Most people give out prizes and favors at the shower, not to get into the shower.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I went to a baby shower where they did that except it wasn't considered a cover charge. Some people only brought diaper as a gift. They basically did a raffle and award one of the people that brought a diaper a prize. So basically you'll have to say something like bring diaper to participate in the raffle. You'll need to get raffle ticket and give one out to everyont that brings a diaper. At some point in the shower you draw a winner.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 3:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• A cover charge to attend a private party where one is expected to bring a gift? No way.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It seems tacky to me as well and honestly I wouldn't even go to a shower if I got an invite like that. We get birthday invites every year from a woman who works with hubby. She has all 3 kids birthdays in one party and includes a list of acceptable gifts for each child. We never go, telling you what to buy seems so tasteless to me.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Are you throwing your own baby shower? I thought a close friend or relative would do that for you?? I would say that during these economic times asking for a gift and a package of diapers is a bit much.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 3:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you choose to do this, I'd specify for them to not bring any other gifts and to bring any brand and size they want. Or you could just leave it out and when people ask what you want tell them only diapers. I wouldn't call it a cover charge. Seems a bit rude.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010