Tomorrow is my quit date

I baught the stop smoking patches and am finally ready to quit smoking! this is it!!!! I need luck!!! How many of you have quit? was it as hard as everyone says? what did you do to keep you busy?

recey2007

Asked by recey2007 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Health

• you rock

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Good Luck!!! I am fixing to quit as well!!!
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yeah good luck hun
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• congratulations and good luck!

i quit over 10 years ago.
    i ate a ton of candy that first week. cinnamon altoids were awesome!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thank you I am scared!!!!!!!!!!
    recey2007

Comment by recey2007 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Okay, to be 100% honest it sucks in a major way for about two weeks. But! It's totally 'do-able', you just have to commit to it, realize it's going to get tough and keep your resolve. It's going to seem easier said than done at times, but you CAN do it. Once you're through that two weeks it's still rough for a few more weeks. After that it's an occassional struggle, and I don't think it ever gets any better than that. I've quit three times...*sigh* Once for five years, once for a year and this quit is quickly coming up to a year.

This time aroud I found a 'cure' for my cravings. Believe it or not...running! I have not had a single jones since I started running seven weeks ago. I think everyone has something that'll fill the 'addiction void', it's just a matter of finding what your's is.

Also, valarian root can do wonders for the edgy nerves durning that first two weeks. It was a god-send for me.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 3:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• First off, congrats and good luck, mama! You are doing a great thing, and this is a very hard habit to kick from what I've been told. This will be better for your health, along with everyone around you.

My dad was told to give up smoking 2 years ago, or his doctor would not perform surgery on his back. Because the coughing and hacking would keep setting his recovery back, and why have back surgery if you are just going to kill yourself with smoking anyway? The point was to improve his life. He gave it up cold turkey. He threw away everything he had in the house, and started popping an Altoid every time he wanted a cigarette. He popped a lot of Altoids early on, but he is weaned off to only a couple a day now, which is what most people do that don't smoke.

He said it was hard, but now he's very proud of the fact that he finally kicked the habit. His options have opened up for things he can do and he has more energy. cont..
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Good luck to you. Hoping the best. I quit cold turkey after the few cigarettes I had and glad I did.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• 'still a little rough'....not 'still rough'. Sorry, that made it sound really bad and it's not. The cravings get fewer and further between, not as intense, and you've learned the coping mechanism to get through them.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 3:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My dad smoked in his house. For the past 9 years, I hadn't been back home once because I was so disgusted by it. The house literally wreaked. I had spent enough time in that house growing up that once I was a part of a smoke free household, I didn't want to go back. It would literally take me weeks to get the smell of smoke off my clothes, luggage, etc, after going home to visit. Now that he's been smoke free, my parents aired out the house, washed down the walls, floors and ceilings, and got rid of the smell from the house. We've visited a couple times now and plan to keep doing so with our son. My dad said it was completely worth it to be able to see his grandson more often, because otherwise, he had to drive the 7 hours each time he wanted to see us and then had to spend a lot of his time smoking out on the porch alone. It opened up so much for him and he's so much happier because of it. Best of luck mama!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010