Mixed receptive expressive language disorder/Is this enough speech therapy?

My 5yr old son has this disorder along with autism.Last semester in school he received group speech therapy 3 times a week for 30 minutes.This semester he will get it 5 times a week.He will be attending school for 7 hours a day.I was thinking about finding an independent speech therapist to come to our home to work with him one on one.I think he really needs some one on one therapy.But i'm afraid it might be too much for him in one day.He has improved a little bit since starting school.He still talks in a lot of gibberish and repeats.It's like trying to talk to someone from a foreign country.Very frustrating for all of us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is 3 and will be attending preschool for 3 hours 4 days a week because he has a speech delayment. He was born with a minor submucous cleft palate which was repaired january of '09. DS is doing better with half of last school year preschool so dh and I know we'll notice an improvement again this year.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son is 11 now, we have put him in school settings that would allow inclusion, the therapist was in the classroom for about 2 hours a day, we used a "applied behavioral analyst" specializing in verbal behavior, he is in 4th grade now and a therapist is in his classroom for about 2 hours a day during reading. Materials at school for reading are adapted for him, no such thing as any "canned" reading program each of these kids are different.
    We have been going to see Dr. Stephen Camarata phd in speech and language at Vanderbilt University for yearly evaluations for over 8 yrs, he guides us in specific directions to take with my son. For example in 3rd grade he suggested we act out a small play in the classroom with the kids depicting the "story of the week" his reading comprehension test scores improved by 40%. good luck and God Bless it getseasier as they get older
    abbottdl

Answer by abbottdl at 10:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010