Am I just mean.

My almost 8 y/o just started public school this year. She has made friends and been to bday parties. She has never had a bday party of her own except for me her dad, and brothers (no big deal). Anyway now she wants this huge party. (one of her friends had a waterslide, bounce house and 100 guests)I am totally against it, but don't want to disappoint her. I am thinking small family party with nana, aunts and cousins. I think bdays parties have gotten a lot rediculous. Please Help.

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 7:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I agree that people get extreme with birthday parties and it turns into a popularity contest. When I was growing up, maybe around 8 or 10, I started getting to have several (5 maybe?) friends over for a party where we might go bowling, swimming, or to the movies or something and my very best friend might stay the night afterward...there definitely wasn't catering, 100s of people or rentals.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'd let her pick 1 or 3 friends to invite (not 2 because that means 3 and an odd one out) but that's just me.

I hate big parties. There's too much to worry about and it just gets way too stressful.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 7:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I would let her invite a couple friends from school to a family party and maybe let her pick a theme. And then just get a cake, balloons, and maybe one or two games with that theme. That way you are doing a little of what both of you want
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• The only way I would do a large party is at a public place, like the park. I don't get into that spending thousands on impressing everyone. My children are given the option of a small party with guest or a trip of their choice for thier birthdays. So far they have chosen to go on trips. We took one to the aquarium and one to the famous kids pizza place (ugh) and a petting zoo. The little one is still to little, lol. We still have a small family only party on their actually bday and take the trip the weekend before or after.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 7:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My 5 year old is having a bowling parting with pizza for 15 kids from class, then 4 of the boys will spend the night with movies. They think it is great. We will get donuts, bagels, juice for breakfast, hopefully the boys will have a wonderful time, and my son's party will be a hit.

Good luck to you!
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 7:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• She's not going to be able to enjoy 100 guests. I'd let her do a smaller birthday party with a few close friends.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I tell my boys that the less I spend on the party means the more money I can spend on them.
    calydu

Answer by calydu at 8:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Just because she wants a birthday party doesn't mean that it has to be this huge blowout. I would let her invite 10 friends over and you can play games or she can have a sleepover.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Is there a place in your area where you can go to have the party? We have a place here called Pump It Up. It has these huge inflatable slides, mazes, etc. and the kids just go nuts in there. The party is limited to 15 kids too. Then they send you to a party room where you can have cake, pizza, etc. Then it's done. The whole thing only lasts like 2 or 2 1/2 hours. We are considering that, or going to our local Rec Center and doing a swim party there for our son.
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• The nearest thing is Chuck E Cheese and it is an hour away. I think we have decided on a sleep over pizza/ movie party w/ 3 guests. Thanks everyone, but keep the suggestions coming nothings set in stone yet still 6 weeks to go.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 6:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008