constipated baby...

my poor little guy is constipated, he's almost 5 months and has been on solids a couple weeks, per his doctor...NO BASHING! what can i do the help relieve him? he's very uncomfortable today!

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A bottle of apple juice and a little water mixed then shake it. Or white grape juice water alone does not work. Pediatricians recommmend the above.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Did the constipation start after the solids began? That's NOT bashing. Bashing would be to call you stupid... and you're not. Standard troubleshooting is to ask what changed and then change it back.

Constipation is often an indicator that baby was not ready for the new thing.

I'd start by getting back on a formula or breastmilk baseline, however you were feeding, then reintroduce the solids slowly. No cereal; it's a known binder. Mashed avocado is a good choice. Nice and fatty and not constipating. Offer the solids only AFTER a liquid lunch; bottle or breast. The liquid is his major nutrition up till the first birthday and will be the FIRT thing he gets every meal till then. Solids are dessert.

No juice, please...it's just sugar. If you're going to give more liquids, more formula or breastmilk. No Karo...botulism risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• OK,. good. How long has the constipation been going on? Can you pinpoint it to something else starting? Again, looking for the trigger. Better to find and eliminate it, then to try many things to "fix" it.

The thing about juice is that its high sugar count actually plays havoc with blood sugar, and has been linked to increased diabetes risk, so if you can avoid it that would be best.

You certainly can substitute prunes for the other fruit and that WILL help. And I'll respectfully disagree with dancer...lots of kids LOVE prunes. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Gerber makes puree Prunes. Or a bit of prune juice. Water will help him too, Good luck
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• give him a little bit of pear juice. Thats what has always helped my son
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I promise I'm not trying to bash but maybe this is your signal that he's not ready for solids yet or maybe just different solids. Cereal is very constipating because of the added iron. Try to stick with just fresh fruits and veggies that you can mash for him.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Call your pediatrician. They should have advice for you on what is best for your baby.

My son likes the Gerber prunes, actually. So, some kids do like them. If no one liked them, they wouldn't be sold.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• gdiamante said exactly what I was trying to say only much better.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• gdiamante is correct on how to solve his problem.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Also, for the solids, how often a day are you feeding your little one? Is he still having more milk/formula than solids?
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010