What are some easy ways to transition a 3yo into their own bed & room?

My bed is huge but it's getting a little crowded. I know it's best that they not start sleeping with you but it's too late, right? LOL.

dizziestdreamer

Asked by dizziestdreamer at 3:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i didn't have that problem little man as always had his own bed/room. Although you could have them pick out their own bedding & stuff to put up on the walls. We did that when we took little man out of his crib, he loved it. (mind you he broke three toddler beds & finally had to be put into a full size, soooo we had to do it twice.)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 3:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i doubt there is an easy way ;-) but i think there are ideas in the no cry sleep solution for toddlers book. GL!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We are trying the same thing. We just put a movie on until he falls asleep in his bedroom then turn it off. sometimes he will put up a fight or even wake up in middle of night and get in bed with us, but it is a process honey. I know what you mean. I mean my husband and I do not hardly have any time to ourselves because he slept in the bed with us.
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 4:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• throw a big-kid bed party. make a cake so its a big deal that they get to sleep in a big kid bed now!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• There is no easy way I am afraid. My son was with us till like 2 1/2 and we bought him a new bed with sheets and a new stuffed animal he picked and he was fine and dandy till he realized he really had to sleep there! All kids are different but with my son we were just real consistant and it was exhausting and alot of putting him back in his bed calmly explaining this is his new big boy bed. It took like 3 mos for him to really adjust! The first few weeks were the hardest. Hopefully you will have a easier time but my son was protesting! He is 7 now!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i stay with my kid in bed until she falls asleep then i leave. usually about 15-20 minutes
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• wat i did was move her to her bed in my room just to get her used to it, the i had her share a room with my 8 yr old and then just a month ago i moved out to her own room. shes done find but still hollers once in a while taht she wants to sleep with us
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 4:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Super Nanny! Hehe do your usual routine for bed hugs kisses stories bathroom whatever you do. Put him in his bed and tuck him in. love on him and then leave the room. If he gets up just put him back in bed tuck him in and leave. Keep doing this til he gets the idea. It worked for my youngest DS. It was hard not to laugh he would get out of bed and I would go to get him and he would cry no no no like I was going to spank instead of put him back to bed. This even worked one night when he had a late nap woke up at 7 am and I put him back to bed at 9 and 30 minutes later(4 times putting him back in bed) he was out for the night.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• One idea for middle-of-the-night get ups is to put blankets with a pillow at the end of your bed. During the night, if s/he wakes up, s/he could come sleep on that with the understanding that s/he must be quiet or else s/he goes back to her/his own room. This would fulfill the need of having a parent close by and also teach her/him to self-sooth. More importantly, it might give her/him a sense of control for handling this problem on her/his own.
    jrd_phd

Answer by jrd_phd at 12:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010