Is this right?!?!

My hubby is an apprentice and apart of the pipefitters union, which is a great thing. The trouble is one of his bosses has it out for him. He has accused my hubby of stealing from the company and is telling all the workers but my hubby. He found this out from the journey man he was working with. Now he wants my hubby to bring in his work truck and paper work tonight. I am so frustrated by ythis man!! My hubby hasn't done anything but work his butt off and now he isn't sure what to do and has not even had the time to figure out what his rights are!! Do any of you know what he should do? I am researching everything any info would help!!

homemaker4him

Asked by homemaker4him at 3:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• what kinds of rights are you talking about? if it is an at will state, then they can pretty much fire him without cause
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• That's what's GOOD about unions. He needs to talk to the shop steward, immediately.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• See if there are any laws in your state about slandering with out evidence. That boss shouldnt be allowed to tell other workers that he is stealing with out proof, and if he is let go and that is a reason, he could use that to his benefit.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes..have him contact his union rep..they should be present when they have this meeting.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• What is an at will state?
    homemaker4him

Comment by homemaker4him (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• an at will state is a "right to work state". Fl is one of them. My Dad was fired on Monday and was trying to file a wrongful termination suit but b/c we are in a "right to work state" they can fire anyone for any reason at anytime.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Your husband needs to go to his boss' boss and report this guy. He needs to make sure to present his case proffessionally and to the point. But he really needs to speak up for himself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• "At will" means that an employer can let you go for no reason at all. HOWEVER...he's in a union and THAT generally trumps "at will" employment. Union contracts usually specify terms for disciplinary action and steps for termination. He may have gotten something from the employer in a handbook as well.

He needs to talk to his union rep ASAP.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• He needs to speak with HR

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• it is time to talk to union reps they will help him with the boss the boss could also be checked out just in case he is the one that is stealing
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 7:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010