what are the chances of a girl having a misscarriage and iis it hareditary?

DH and I are planning on TTC again we have a 5 year old and 2.5 year old both girls. I heard that almost every girl has a misscarriage at sometimein their life. Is that true? I been pregnant 2 times wqith 2 live births.My grandma had 6 kids. Her first was handycapped he just passed away at 30 something a few years ago (she gave him up for adotion so never met him) she has 5 other kids her 3rd baby she had a miscarriage. With my mom she had me, my sister a miscarriage and then my brother. So my mom and grandma both had a miscarriage with baby #3 so what are my chances? Also DH's mom had a still born with her first will that affect me in anyway? Not sure why she had a stillborn. I am just afraid something is going to happen because mom and grandmas 3rd was a miscarriage.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• it is definitely not hereditary. It has everything to do with how the embryo is developing. the beginning stages pf pregnancy are so delicate that most of the time people dont even know what causes a miscarriage. Dont think that just because you havent had one means that you will. many many women never have a miscarriage. Some have them and never even realize it because they happen so early on. Good luck to you on TTC #3!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• As far as the father's side of the family, it doesn't really matter. The father's side contributes very little to health problems with the child unless both you and the baby's father are both genetic carriers of a disease/disorder.

As far as miscarriages being hereditary, I don't believe they are. Fertility issues and such can be hereditary though. I would definitely speak to your OB/GYN about any questions or concerns that you have.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think miscarriage is hereditary. I do think that more people have them than we all think. My first pregnancy was a miscarriage and the doctors were not worried about it at all. When it happened to me, I found out that it had happend to a lot of my friends but not my mother or anyone on my husband's side of the family. I have gone on to have 2 beautiful children. I can understand your worry but you have already had 2 healthy children, I don't think your chances are any greater this time just b/c it's your third. Good luck with getting pregnant and like the prev person wrote, you should share your concerns with your dr and it will probably make you feel better.
    bbchic

Answer by bbchic at 4:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It depends on why your mom and grandmother had miscarriages. Women today know earlier and for sure they are pregnant with home pregnancy tests. Cheap, easy pregnancy tests have only been around for 35 years.

My family has a genetic disease and there has been lot of miscarriages. I had 3. I have no aunts, uncles or obviously cousins. My grandmothers had multiple miscarriages.

In a family without a history of genetic disease it doesn't matter if your relatives had miscarriages. Just because other women in your family had a miscarriage with baby #3 that doesn't mean you are at risk for a miscarriage with baby #3.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• No it is not true that almost every girl has a misscarriage, though the number of misscarriages is a lot higher then a lot of people realize. It is NOT hereditary, cannot be contracted through genetics.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I had two miscarriages and my mom never had any. It really depends on why they had the miscarriages. If there was a genetic abnormality that is hereditary, that could cause miscarriages, but given that they both your grandma and your mom went on to have successful pregnancies doesn't make me think that it's a hereditary reason.

And yes, many women have miscarriages, but many don't realise it. I had my first at 6w, if I hadn't known I was pregnant I would just have written it off as a late, heavy period.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• many women do have miscarriges but its not always hereditary sometimes it just happensit can happen it its not inplanted right if you take some medicine your not supose to or other things that can also effect your pregnancy like age or if you have some problem in your uterus. i had a miscarrige whith my first pregnancy, my mom had one with her first, my grandma had one with her first, my sil just had one because she fell in the washroom and hit her stomich they dont knwo if it was that or if it was something else because they just couldnt find the heartbeat. but she had to get a dnc because she didnt go into that actual letting it out part. so their a chance buti think you have the same chance as others what you can do is tell the doctor contact your doctor and let him know your concerns and see if it can be hereditary adn what precautions you can take. i hope this helps and hopefully everything goes great !!!
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well as far as miscarriages I honestly don't think they are hereditary, it really just depends on the woman and her body. I didn't think I would ever have a miscarriage but I did. I thought it was scary because something you want so bad and then it ends in miscarriage. There are reason's why women have miscarriages. Sometimes women have miscarriages and don't even know it, which is really crazy because imagine how many times that could really be if we didn't know. God has a plan for everyone and everything will turn out for the best. Good luck and keep us posted.

Traci1979

Answer by Traci1979 at 1:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• not sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010