What should I ask when finding a pediatrician?

My husband and I have a meet and greet with a pediatrician, but I'm not sure what exactly to ask? I've never had an appointment just to meet a doctor. Usually I have some sort of medical reason that I'm going. What are somethings I should ask? What are somethings that I should look for?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• *Who handles your after hours ER's? Phone service or machine.
    *Is there separate well and sick child waiting rooms?
    *Do there Vax policies match your own?
    *Do they support your choices in breast/formula/both?
    *Are the board certified?
    *What is the average wait time on a well appt?
    *How long does it take to get an appt for a sick child? (Next day, same day...)
    *Is there a doctor on staff who is assigned to see walk in patients that day or are they worked in?
    *How many doctors are in the practice? (If one, how are vacations handled?)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• make sure its clean and u feel comfortable. ask about the hours. if u go to babycenter they have a great check list that i used!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_choosing-a-doctor-for-your-baby_320.bc

good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• that the doc is okay with your wishes on vaccinations, antibiotics, testing, well baby checks, allergies, infant feeding, and sleep.

Like if you plan to breast feed, a pedi who is a lactation consultant or who has one on staff is best.

If your family has a history of allergies, a pedi with allergy experience is really important.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I honestly just make my judgment of a pediatrician from a few recommendations from friends and then actually scheduling a visit and seeing how I feel about them in person. I LOVE our pediatrician, she makes us comfortable, she clicks with my son, and she NEVER rushes us.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• make sure you can connect with the doctor that you feel cunffy with her. ask her what happens in case of an eergency and the office is close. if you can call her for questions you have. ask her if their are any days where you dont need appointment to bring in your child. ask her what hospital she works for and make sure you like that hospital because mostlikely if you ever need to take him to get somethign done in the hospital thats the one you are going to. and well you can ask her any specific questions you have. and well about the place make sure its clean and its child friendly
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2010