Does it scare you...

I see so many typing errors and misspelled words on here. I am not the best in the world at english, but I mean really bad. I see "wate" for wait, "half" for have, "pregernant" for pregnant, "muther" for mother, and so, so, so many more. It really scares me that these people raise children. I am a firm believer that you need to be educated and your children need to be educated. Does this bother anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes, it's bothersome and scary. People will say that it doesn't matter, but I think it just shows the way society is going. AAAHHHHH!!! YES, I do re-read my answers and posts for grammatical, spelling, and other errors.

Ilovepie77

Answer by Ilovepie77 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• LOL I get so irritated at the errors like that! :) I see stuff like that and think "our world is going to be run by idiots in about 30 years"

don't computers come with spell check? My browser does a little red line under anything spelled wrong.

I also hate the grammar errors. "I gots a ..." "I has to ..."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I can understand a typing error. I do them myself. But these are words that are just plain spelled wrong.
    It does scare me, that these people are in charge of younger people who need to know how to spell. I was the one who said something about the half and wate one. That one just got to me.

cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 7:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It does bother me...especially since I tutor English...I think your ability to communicate definitely reflects on your overall intelligence. I've known several women in my personal and professional life that had a hard time with spelling and grammar. They were very aware of and frustrated by this problem...they would ask for help. Sometimes there isn't anyone to ask when you're home alone, so I try to ignore it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Well, from the other perspective. I am a college educated woman, with a Bachelor's degree. BUT, I never took an actual typing course, so my typing is downright awful. And I admit it. I try to use spell check, but if my son starts crying or the phone is ringing, I tent to forget and just hit "post" or "send". One of my most famous typos was when I was warning fellow moms in my local group about car break-ins that had happened recently and I typed that everyone should make sure to "lick" their cars, not lock them! I'm basically saying that everyone who makes typos is not a complete idiot. That being said, there is some horrible grammar I see and that bothers me. I can barely understand some slang I hear, let alone read it when it is typed!

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I make many mistakes. I have a disability that causes my right hand to lag behind the left, which causes (rt) to hit keys slower than (rt), example: right = rgiht. I try to use spell check but sometimes I concentrate so much on trying to correct it while typing I forget to do the spellcheck. I also try to go back to it later and see if I used it. I get so emotional or type freely and worry that if I try to re-read it or use spellcheck, I would change it, delete some of it, or not post it at all. I can't go back to SC it for the same reasons. Just like young girls, some use shorter words or phrases as they go. For me, to type less words so that I can spend more. I do read posts and wonder why they made the mistakes and didn't use spellcheck.   I just try to keep in mind that they might have their own reasons like mine.  It doesn't help that the SC doesn't catch all errors as well.
    calydu

Answer by calydu at 8:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• No it doesn't bother me when I see misspelled words because sometimes you aren't paying attention or even if your a bad speller doesn't mean that education isn't important to you and don't we as parents want better for our kids? My husband didn't do well in school and is a horrible speller (thank god for spell check) but he is very strict when it comes to our kids and their school work.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yes it bothers me. Also the "text" language bothers me (ur, r, 2, 4, luv...all that garbage) Typos aren't the problem. I make typos. It's the horrid sentence structure (or lack of) especially that annoys me. If you can't form coherent sentences...well...it makes you wonder if they are just stupid or on drugs.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• "pregnant"

This is THE most misspelled world on here. How many times have I seen "pregant" "pregnate" "pregate" or things along those lines? Okay, seriously. We're all moms here, right? We've ALLLLLLLL seen how "pregnant" is spelled numerous times. And usually when someone misspells "pregnant", they usually do it more than once in their question, so you KNOW it's not just a simple typing error.

I for one have been typing on computers since I was five years old, when they taught us how to use computers in kindergarten. I'm one of the only people I know around my age that actually uses a somewhat proper sentence structure and punctuation. It's not that hard, really. Even if I'm busy or I'm looking away from the computer, I can still type fast enough to make a cohesive sentence.

Tis sad : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Nope. It doesn't bother me. I give thanks that MY parents cared enough to teach me that education is important, and I'll be passing that along to my child. I feel badly for people who don't know any better, but frankly, what other people do isn't my businesss.

What DOES irritate me (and I'm not saying that the OP or anyone else on here has done this) is when people who supposedly are so smart that THEY wouldn't misspell words, use improper punctuation or incorrect grammar are suddenly rendered so stupid that they find it impossible to read for content. It doesn't make you "smart" to act like an ass to other people to try to prove your superiority. It just makes you an ass.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008