How do I know if my 4 year old son has aspergers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Talk to your ped, get a referral for a psychiatrist and ask yourself why you want to get him diagnosed. If you think it will open doors for more resources to help you with him, then definitely do it. Be careful with diagnosises though, it changes children and everyone who knows them. My oldest biological son as aspergers and he went downhill after his diagnosis. Suddenly he had a reason for his behavior and he stopped applying himself. He was 6. Now almost four years later and a lot of coaching from me he understands that it's not an excuse it's a challenge and an opportunity. I use a metaphor with super powers and how his ability to notice EVERYTHING and to focus insanely on one detail is a challenge but a blessing, just like being able to fly. If he does have it, be as proactive and involved as you can be, he will thankyou for it as he grows up. :)
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 4:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• you take him to a doctor (psychologist) and get them to diagnosis it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• speak to his ped, get referral for him to see therapist or autism doc

what signs do you see to make you think he has issues that put him in spectrum??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Get your son tested by a doctor.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son was not diagnosed until he was in 2nd grade and then it was because his school guidance counselor thought that he had it so I took him to a psychologist that specialized in Autism/Asperger's and sure enough his pediatrician had misdiagnosed him with ADHD. Now he gets the help he needs at school and at home, he's improved over the last year and he's not struggling as much :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 4:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You should have him tested for food sensitivities. A food panel rast test for IgG can determine this. It only takes a blood draw. You should also alter his diet to eliminate artificial colors, artificial flavors, HFCS, & excess sugars including fruit juice. Feed whole foods as much as possible and very few processed foods.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010