Anyone had any luck getting their 1 year old to sleep a little later in the morning?

My 14 month old was sleeping until 7 but she suddenly has started waking up at 6, which is painful! :) It's not light out at 6 so I don't think black out curtains will help...any other ideas? She goes to bed at 7:30 and takes 1 nap during the day that lasts about an hour.... thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would be patient. This may just be a phase. My 2 yo was up at 6 today but is usually asleep until about 9 and goes to bed at 7 on the dot. She set her own schedule when she was about 9 mo and hasn't really deviated from it much and she takes about a 2-3 hour nap depending on the day.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I know ton's of people vito the idea. But we gave my daughter a pillow shortly after her 1yr b-day and she slept sooo much better. To contrast: she was going to sleep at 3 a.m. and waking up at 8 a.m. ( with 3-5 wake up's in the middle of the night)
    After her pillow she goes to sleep around 11 p.m. and sleeps until 10:30 a.m. ( with 2-3 wake ups in the middle of the night)
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 4:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I kept my son up later at night. The later he stayed up the later he slept in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I've never understood people who put their kids to bed at daylight then complain when the kids wake up early. A person can only sleep so much. Put the kid to bed later and he will sleep later.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 4:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree, you cant expect baby to sleep more than 13hrs. So you need to keep baby up longer at night if you want them to sleep in longer! My 12m old sleeps 9-930am & then naps 1030-1 and again from 3-430. No problem.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my dd goes to bed about 8 pm and wakes up around 8 sometimes 9, but there are days that she do wake up at 6 am, i give her a sippy of milk and put her back in bed and she usually drinks her milk and goes back to sleep! Good luck! oh yea she has 1 nap some days from 10 -11 no later, but most days she refuses to have her naps!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 5:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i agree, keep ur baby upa little later !
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• As logical as it sounds to just put them to bed later, many kids respond to that by sleeping less. It has to do with their circadian rhythm and the general pace of the household. It can take 2 weeks or longer for a change in a child's routine to show results. So if you want to try the night owl routine, be prepared to go at least 14 days before deciding if it works. In the mean time, be prepared for the possibility of an even earlier wake-up time and some very cranky days.

I can only tell you that I feel your pain. Both of my kids have been early risers. The one thing I can be assured of is that they are getting plenty of sleep now that they are in school because I never have to wake them up in the morning and never had to artificially move their bedtimes earlier. It all works out in the end. Sort of.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 5:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010