Eviction question regarding my son.

My 21 year old son moved back a little over 2 weeks ago and I want him out (he has slept here about 4 nights). He is being destructive, disrespectful and irresponsible Do I need to serve him with an eviction notice? Do I have the right to go into his room and pack his things up? We live in Michigan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Is he paying rent? Do you have a written contract? If it was never established that he is "renting" a space at your home you can kick him out any time. If he refuses he can get the police envolved- which always makes it take longer.
    If he is technicaly 'renting" from you, you have to serve him a 30 day notice. OR a 72hr notice if he is late on rent. good luck :)
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 4:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Does he pay rent? Did he move in under certain conditions or agreements? You have the right as a parent to do what you want in YOUR HOUSE. If you are acting as a landlord over the situation then you could go to the court house and file and eviction notice, but its probably unneccessary b/c he hasnt stayed for more than 30 days. (ps - I didnt search any laws in your state, I just use to rent out one of our properties)
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Unless hes getting bills sent to your address yet & has been there for over 30 days.. you can give him the boot without having to file for an eviction notice!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• He's your son, not your tenant. Even if he's paying rent he's not your renter, he's just your child who happens to be contributing to expenses. If you want him out all you need to do is pack hiss stuff up and tell him he's out. If he's on the lease, though, then that would change everything. But if he's not, you can tell him to leave. If he won't leave you can call the police and have him removed from your property.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• well here in cali we have to give him notice but idk about were ur at call the housing athourity and find out
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 12:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Tell him to get out. I he doesn't tell him your calling the cops. I know a woman that did that, and she stood there while the cops watched him pack some stuff & he left, it's your house.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You can just kick him out.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have had this same problem for two yrs. Every time I'd tell him to get out he wouldn't go. He is a hopeless alcoholic,doesn't work much & hasn't given me a dime in two yrs. I love him,but I don't like him. He is a nasty drunk. Yesterday I had finally had enough & called 911. A local police officer came who turned out to be a very knowledgible & kind person. He told my son what the law says about his living under my roof & how he had to act if he wanted to live here. As he pays no rent he would have to get out or he'd be arrested. My son got on his knees & begged me not to put him out so I did what most moms would do & gave him one more chance. Today he is so humble I can't believe it. He has this last chance & if he screws it up I will call again & this time they will arrest him. You don't have to be mis-treated. The law is on your side,just call & maybe you'll have a pleasant surprise.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• as mom i would say go for it i would none of my sons would ever talk back or say some thing rude knowing i will make their life hell and yes you can call the cops he is 21 not 2 ,and if he want to be adult he must act like one give him rules of the house and he must follow them if not the door swings both ways make sure it does not hit you on the way out
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Change your locks or get his key back and box his stuff up and give it to him.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010