This makes me happy. Now to get this done everywhere.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/17/opponents-r-word-win-key-legislative-victory-new-jersey/

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds good to me :)Think we can get it removed from the lexicon in general?? THAT would be great! LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Great news.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• And in a few years we will have to find a new term. The terms use to be imbecile, idiot, moron. Then we used the mentally retarded, severe/profoundly retarded, educable mentally retarded, then we went to "people first language" with person with mental retardation, person with blindness, and so on. Now, this. It doesn't really change the fact that there are people in our society with impairments, mental and physical, and developmental delays. How long will it be before the new language is considered too harsh and must be replaced? Ever since the authorization of PL - 94-142 in 1975, we have struggles to find the correct labels that didn't harm. We will get to a point the new label is harmful, but it doesn't change the fact there is a child or adult who needs some help with a problem. Just help them.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It's a good idea as far as forms, etc. go and sooner or later, people in general will start using that terminology more and that's a good thing too. in this instance. I do wonder though, how far is this going to go in terms of everyday language. For instance, I grew up with the term Negro, these days the politically correct term is african-american, there are other terms/words (can't think of em right now) that are no longer considered politically correct and people can get real upset when they are used. The idea of all the PC stuff was supposedly to encourage and get people to be nicer to one another and more tolerant but it also has the effect of controlling how one speaks.....so my questions are: Are we losing our freedom of speech without realizing it? Would it or could it ever get to a point where so many words/terms are no longer acceptable that what we say really is controlled by laws?
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't see taking derogatory words out of forms, legislation and so on as taking away freedom of speech. I know what retard means, in speaking of things other then people. But the fact is it has become a derogatory term. And it is very hurtful. It shouldn't be used. I get very defensive, and God forbid I EVER hear someone call my son, who is special needs, a retard. His teachers have told me that in education, they have not used that term in years. This has been a long time coming. I don't find any offense to the terms they are suggesting to be used. And yes, these people do need help, as you said jesse, but in the papers such as IEPs, they are referred to, 'these people' that need help. They need to be referred to as something. And it needs to be something that is not derogatory. This is great news!
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree Raine, in many ways, (I also have a special needs child) and the meaning of words can and does change over time according to how people interpret them. I remember when the word Gay, simply meant happy, having a good time as in "they were having a gay old time".....now it means something entirely different. These days certain words are considered not politically correct. What I wonder is that, that being the case, and as we become more and more accustomed to not expressing ourselves in certain ways and become accustomed to being told what words are acceptable and which are not......is it possible that over time, other things, such as speaking out against a particular political party or candidate would become politically INcorrect? That's a stretch but I wonder if it will remain an issue of certain words or will maybe in the not to distant future begin to include ideas. I find it sad that something like this NEEDS (cont
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• to be legislated at all but people can be pretty rude at times, especially when they do not understand. I also think we need to be careful and watchful as things like wording being legislated can so easily begin to include ideas.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I WAS a special needs child and used to be called mental retard or mr by other KIDS! It was SO hurtful! That was in the 70's I have hated that term with a passion since! Btw I was born profoundly deaf and back then deaf was associated with dumb.. what a farce! I was far far from dumb.. more like borderline gifted!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010