Menstrual Cycles in women aged 40

Can any women in their 40's please tell me how the period changes at this age. Does it get shorter, longer, more or less bleeding, and does the time between periods increase or decrease? I am 40, and for the first time my period was 9 days late. Is this normal for women in this age group??? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Health

• Mine have been much more regular, which is very new for me. They have also been shorter and more intense.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 5:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Mine is heavier, and I have more cramping. I'm still pretty much on schedule though. My friend has them every two months, and they're lighter. (I hate her sometimes, lol!) When you go in for your annual exam, talk to your doctor about it. My doc told me that once you hit 40 or so it's pretty common to have a change in periods.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm 44, had my last child at 39. I'm like clockwork... but... I now get hormone headaches from hell, I bleed like a stuck pig... sometimes it lasts 3 days, sometimes it lasts 7 days.... oh and I sweat my ass off at night... so you can guess where I'm heading with this... left eye twitching...

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Starting around 40 (I'm 47 now) I noticed these types of changes: Sometimes my period only lasted 2-4 days, Sometimes I had a period 2x in a month (though short ones), cramping became worse, more "clots", sometimes they are really heavy, sometimes they are light. not as regular sometimes it would be 20 days in between sometimes 16 days, sometimes 24 days.. lol It was all over the place (still is...lmao).. Seriously, they are just all over the place in every way.. lol

It's pretty normal for a woman to start experiencing changes in her period at around the age of 40. It's also normal for some women to start experiencing perimenopause starting around the age of 40 as well. Perimenopause symptoms (there's over 30 of them..) would include: hot flashes, night sweats, sore/tender breast, food cravings, dry skin, and a whole bunch of other things.. Perimenopause has been the gift that just keeps on giving, I tell you. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I just turned 40 and have been noticing for some time now that mine are generally super nasty for one day...wouldn't want to go anywhere for fear of embarrassing myself and I get a sore back...and then for the next 3-4 days very light.

Used to last 5-6 days come like clock work and the bleeding was heavy to moderate for 3-4 days and then light.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Mine are still fairly regular but like bookworm23 above, I also have one day where it's so bad that I cannot leave the house. That's been going on for almost 10 years (I'm now 46). My doctors could never provide any help; finally started taking unsulphured black strap molasses daily and the heavy bleeding/clots are no longer an issue. Have not yet experienced any menopausal symptoms. My periods are more "normal" now than when I was younger.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• WOW FootballMom85.. I need to use that molasses! I am now 48 and have had issues for years. I didnt have a period for over a year and then I had married and BAM... right back with them. I guess activity spurred them on!

My monthly friend will start out light....then get very heavy. SO heavy of a flow/clots I've had to double up pads and use two. AND mine have lasted up to 12- 18 days....now and then just STOP and after 4 days I spot!

I still have the night sweats....most symptoms of menopause, and my DOC says Im peri-menopausal but after 2 bad paps in a row and Ive got endometrial hyperplasia.. need to get a biopsy done next.

I tell ya what.....they can change. It's hard to say as you see everyones response is a bit different. I've had issues with it since I was 40!

Good luck!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2010