How do I tell him diplomatically that he didn't get the job, because he didn't apply for it.

OK. I work in a small environment. We have recently hired someone to help us temporarily. He is recently out of college. One of our full time people left. He gave two months notice and everyone was aware that he was leaving, including the temp. I thought for sure the temp would apply for the job, and was surprised when I found out he hadn't.

The kicker? He just sent me a text asking if I knew if he might be able to get a full time job with us. The posistion was filled last week. I don't think it's my place to tell him. I just responded by saying he'd have to talk to the boss. He sent me a reply saying that now that Mr. M left, there was an opening. I know that, but I guess he thought I didn't know what he was talking about. I want to send him a diplomatic reply, because I know they plan on still having him temp with us, but how do I be diplomatic about it. I was thinking of saying (continued)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• i would just be honest and let him know in order to move up positions you have to apply when a spot comes open..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Did you talk to the boss about it being interested in the position? I don't want to lie to him, but I want to be diplomatic and not say anything that will tick him off and make him quit. I didn't realize he didn't know he needed to apply for the position, as he no longer works with me as he had when he first started. But I would think that after two months, he would have realized he needed to talk to somebody about the job.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Why not. IF he wanted the job he should have made some effort to inquire about it. I'd explain to him he could have applied for that job. Maybe he really didn't know
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Are you the HR person? If not, I would deferr him to the person in charge of hiring. Get out of the middle. If you are that person, then be honest and straight forward.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I didn't mean to ask that anon.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• agreeing with Cindy- if you are not the HR person- staying out is a good idea

Agreeing with the others- if you are going to say something to him, say it straight out (without being mean). If he wants a full time job he needs to talk to whomever is in charge of hiring & apply for a job and that 'so&so's position has been filled.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Just let him know that when a position opens up that he'll have to apply for it to get it.

It seems like he thinks that the manager would just automatically stick him there, without him having to say or do anything about it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I sent him this message

Did you let the boss know you were interested. If you are interested, you need to talk to her.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you are not the hiring authority, then you need to point him to the person who IS the hiring authority. Tell him you cannot tell him a thing and he needs to speak to the boss.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• you could just tell him...
    or something like, "maybe they thought you weren't interested because you didn't put in an application..."
    something like that
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010