Discipline for a 19 month old grrrrr

My son is such a good kid. We rarely have to correct him so now that this issue has come up, I am not sure what to do! He absolutely refuses to stop standing on the couch. I tell him to sit, and he does. Then he stands right up again. It's a big game to him, no matter how serious I am when I say it, he thinks its funny. I turn off the tv, take away the toy he playing with...nothing. He just happily goes on to the next thing. I pull him off the couich and sit him on the floor and tell him NO. Nothing. This is what we have always done previously, sort of like a mini time out, and it has always worked.

I am 100% against spanking in this case...he is too little for a spank or a smack or a pop in the mouth or any of the other crazy things I see moms suggesting here....I am looking for a NON VIOLENT way to get the message across. I am close to just forbidding the couch b/c I am tired of the constant battle.

getrealmama

Asked by getrealmama at 5:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess what I am asking is - what does your kid really hate, so much so that you can do it and they will understand they are being punished? I have tried the playpen too, and he doesn't mind that either. He is so freaking agreeable that we can't figure out how to punish him, lol.
    getrealmama

Comment by getrealmama (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think what you are doing already is pretty much the only thing ou can keep on doing. Just pick him up off the couch the very first time he stands on it, firmly say "NO" and put him on the floor. Each and every time. Consistantly. Overtime, he will understand that you mean business.Frustrating, yes? But much of parenting can be, lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My oldest is similar to you him in that nothing seems to bother her when we try to punish. I would get him a little chair to sit on and tell him that he is not allowed on the couch since he can not follow the rules so until he can sit on the couch without standing he is going to only be allowed to use his chair. My kids have little cushy chairs they use, super soft and comfy. It worked for my kids and they learned they were not allowed to stand on the couch. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 5:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• when my dd is up standing on the couch i put her on the floor and tell her she is not aloud to stand on the couch, then i lay down on the couch so she cant get back up there!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thanks guys :) I am glad I am not the only one. I appreciate the suggestions and hubby and I are going to talk about it more tonight. I know it's bugging him too. If this is the worst problem we have in the "Terrible Twos" then I really need to be thanking my lucky stars :)
    getrealmama

Comment by getrealmama (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I count ONE...TWO..THREE..when he gets to three he goes in time out and I explain to him, you are going in time out. It only took a couple times to click, now I get to 2 and he stops whatever he is doing :)
    p8ns_mama

Answer by p8ns_mama at 9:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010