Another assault on Christanity

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Like the article says, when I see them the first thought in my mind is not religion. I think of how sad it was that someone died in that spot.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Will they target Arlington next?
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm not christian but that is the most rediculous sh!t that I've ever heard of. Those Atheists that are doing that need to get a fricken life and leave those crosses alone. They are there to Honor Our Fallen Heroes, not to represent a religion.

That just pisses me off.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I do not see it as a religous issue, much less an assualt on Christianity..

I see it as an issue of public land usage.

I understand that the crosses are a symbol to memoralize those who have died ( in this case, law enforcement officers). However. it's public land therefore why choose to use a religious symbol to memoralize these people. Why not something else, maybe something that represents the field of work that they lost their lives in the line of duty of.

I think that, The same type of issue would be happening if it were any other religous symbol being used on public lands as a memorial. Not just the Christian Cross.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think it's an "assault" that's a bit dramatic. I have often asked myself "why do they have to use crosses all the time for these memorials, i bet 1/2 these people arent Christian". No, am not athiest. But, i understand the argument completely. At the Jewish cemetary down there street, you can betcha there isn't even one cross headstone there.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• What is offensive about a cross? Honestly. I realize it's a Christian symbol but is it really offensive? This is really getting out of hand. I don't care if you believe in it or not the intent is to honor the lost why not just let it go.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i'm on the fence about this... on one hand christians are all up in arms about the mosque at ground zero, yet think that it's appropriate to put crosses up everywhere. to me i think the issue shouldn't be about religion but about whether or not private memorials of any kind are allowed on publicly owned lands... the law about that should be the deciding factor. i do have one question in mind though... WERE all the officers Christian? although the article presents an argument that not all crosses are religious (and frankly crosses have been a pagan symbol much longer than christian - usurped like holiday traditions, although the article doesn't mention this), a Jewish or Muslim officer's family might be quite offended by the cross memorial...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• "I think that, The same type of issue would be happening if it were any other religous symbol being used on public lands as a memorial"

Great point. The cross doesn't symbolize death to me at all, i am not christian. If it were a muslim moon & star, it would have been LONG GONE from that public property.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Justices agreed and said that while the cross is a widely recognized symbol of death, it is a specific Christian message.

So, what about all the Romans and the victims of the Romans who died on crosses and were pagans? The cross has been an instrument of death long before Jesus was crucified. It is a symbol of death. It killed a lot more pagans and Jews than it did Christians. This is just another instance of one group with an agenda pushing that agenda on the American people whether we want it or not. We are no longer a people of majority rule. We are a people of special interest rule.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• There is a grand total of 14 of them. That's it. They are commemorating the deceased police officers with the blessing from their families. If the families felt the cross was an incorrect symbol for their loved one, surely they would not have agreed. I think it's not only wasteful of the courts time to make a stink about it, but it's also a bit disrespectful to those commemorated. This is definitely one of those issues that I wonder what the big deal is.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010