How are families affording things these days and what are moms doing to contribute to the income?

We are a two parent family with one child, and have only my husband's income. I have chosen to be a stay at home mom so that I can be there for my child. The problem is that we live in Los Angeles (where everything is super expensive, especially housing!) We cannot afford a house and it is killing me. Rents are high and what you get for your money is not that great in most cases. I want to help my husband financially, but I do not know what to do or where to begin. I am wondering what other moms are doing to contribute to their families' income while working around their family's schedule.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work full-time and I handle our finances. Budget, Budget, Budget
    gavansmommy

Answer by gavansmommy at 5:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I went and got a job thats what i did. We have 3 kids and actually lost our home so rent right now. Its all bad and hard!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I work nights while my SO works days.... it's hard but with just his income we were getting behind on bills
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I work and go to school so I can get a better job and I own a small production company.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i am a sahm and i started looking at things around the house that i could possibly sell on ebay..i know that sounds nutts but believe me i have gotten rid of so much clutter and i have made a good amount of extra cash to buy things that we needed here at home....
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• how old is your child? we are a 2 parent/1 child family. my son got to go to prek last yr and thats when i decided to go to work part time. He is in kindergarten this year and i am still working part time..just while he is in school
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I work full time days while my son is in school:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I work myself, but have you tried to work from home?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I also live in Los Angeles, and know what you mean about the cost of living here....it's outrageous. When my boys were younger I babysat for extra money. When they got a little older I started teaching sewing lessons. I also budget very carefully. The biggest place I found I could easily save money was the food budget. I cook from scratch, carefully plan menus, and especially when the boys were younger, we just didn't eat out. It is hard, but you can do it, and you will eventually be able to buy a house!!

Good Luck, holler if you could use a friend!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• maybe you can ask a family member to sit for you and get a waitress type job working a few hours a couple of days a week
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010