How much do you expect your family or husband's family(or SO) to babysit your child(ren)?

Courtney610

Asked by Courtney610 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't EXPECT either of our parents to watch our children. They are our children and our responsibility to provide care for them. If they want to watch our children or are able to then we are really appreciative it but if they cannot then we use our babysitter.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You can't really expect anyone to babysit your kids unless you had a prevoius arraingment.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We had no expectations, and were always happy when they offered.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't expect them to babysit.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would never "expect" any person or family member to babysit my kids.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I dont Expect either side of the family to watch my son. If I need a sitter I know there will be someone more than happy to help out, just as I would gladly watch any of my nephews if the need came

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I dont expect any of them to babysit at all. If they would like them to come over thier house for a visit thats fine, but I typically don't ask any of them to babysit. Sigh. Maybe I should, lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My boys are grown, and I would have loved for our families to offer to take them occasionally so that hubby and I could get out, but neither family really did. They are 18, 21 & 28, & my mom watched them 4 or 5 times, my mother in law never once, and we lived just a couple of miles away. Each of my brothers watched them once....one of my two brother in laws watched 2 of them once when I had to go to the hospital....that's pretty much it.

I don't think anyone should EXPECT for others to watch their kids, but it sure is nice when family does, it's good for the kids and the couple.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• uh..no expectations here. although they gladly offer and do from time to time (at least until june, when we moved 4hrs away.).
    if i had expected anyone to babysit my child, i wouldn't have had him. (that's not entirely true, as i'm prolife.)
    its crazy and selfish to expect anyone, especially grandparents to babysit their grandchildren just because of who they are. they already raised a child (or more), and they are entitled to do whatever they want with their free time.
    if i want a babysitter, i'll hire one, and pay for it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Living a 4 hour car trip from all my family and a 5 hour plane trip from his, we HOPE that they will want some alone time with Silver when we're visiting. We do expect 1 date night while we're visiting his fam so we can go out with his lifelong friends for a few hours, but it's been after bedtime in the past, so kind of a non-issue.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010