did you read about this?

mother slaps her 13 month old baby in the face for kicking her on a plane. the flight attendant took the baby away and took her to the back of the plane,she also said that the baby had a black eye which the parents blamed on a dog bite. the husband told the attendant that he and his wife had faught several times over her hitting the baby, the authorities met them when they got off the plane and just checked out the baby and let them bourd their next flight. i personally dont think there is ever a reason to slap a child in the face, i can see a pop on the butt or hand, but a slap in the face is never ok. do you think the parents should have just been allowed to bourd theor next flight with the baby? i think that authorities should have looked further into it. nochild deserves that, especially not a 13 monthold baby! my 14 month old kicks me on a regular basis, it kind of seems like its just something they do at that age.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 5:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I had a total gut reaction that this child is in an abusive situation....I'm glad the flight attendant to the child but also wish the investigation would have gone much further than it did. Poor baby:(
    momof3angela

Answer by momof3angela at 5:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yes, we discussed this yesterday.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• What I read also stated that the father walked to the back of the plane where he took his baby back from the flight attendant, calmed her and rocked her to sleep. As written, the mom appears to "pop" the baby often, which the dad disagrees with. I think that this isn't over for them yet.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't agree with slapping a kid that young in the face, but I don't know that I'm crazy about the flight attendant getting involved. I would have felt more comfortable with this situation had the flight attendant notified the capitan so that he (or she) could notify the authorities. Mid air is probably not the best place to have that confrontation.
    jennie495

Answer by jennie495 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• it's really hard to know the truth of the situation without being there. media is so selective on what they include and what they twist. i have definite concerns about the child's family life. however, i also have concerns about unauthorized people being allowed to take people's children, and although people are angry that the police let them go on their way, i think it's really dangerous to not allow people the due process of the system, no matter how incredibly flawed that system is. as a parent i know that everyone has a very different opinion on what is appropriate with children - and although i think we ALL agree that slapping a 13 month old in the face is a big NO, can you imagine some situations where others thought what you were doing with your child was questionable - do you think they should have the right to just take your child?? i know we're all upset about this, but think hard about what you're saying
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The cops should have taken the child away and the parents questioned.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The flight attendant had NO RIGHT to snatch the child from the parents. She had NO authority to do so. The child was NOT in as bad shape as noted. The flight attendant SHOULD have just backed off. It was the flight attendant who asked the mom to shut the child up because it was fussing. The mom just tapped its mouth. Its face? Where did that nonsense come from? See, this is where rumors start and people are trashed to no end. The flight attendant had a concern and should have left it at calling the police. So here me, the flight attendant was WRONG WRONG WRONG. There were other people on the flight that said it did NOT happen the way the flight attendant said and apparently she was trying to justify the WRONG stealing of another's child.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 5:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Maybe this will be a wake up call for the dad and he will not just argue with her but tell her to get help or leave.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• sorry....flight attendant did take the child...fogot a couple words
    momof3angela

• Oh, did they get new information on that? I was wondering because they werent specific on where the mother had slapped the child or if it had left marks or anything.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010