How to deal with my 20 year son?

last year he suffered from reflux, doctors weren't co operative . One doctor said he has lump in hroat due to birth defect, another said he had mitral valve prolapse which worried himt; he started searching internt and linking things into syndromes. He lives alone studying overseas. Failed his semester, came back to do all medical tests twice.Tests proved doctors wrong; is normal. Still worried coz his energy dropped, concentration behind tho he was an A student, sees white spots, sleeps a lot, always tired. Psychaitrist says I should stop him from doctors and see therapist. He refuses as still convinced is sick somehow. Lately he hasnt been friendly or wanting to talk to me as I got mad at him when he told me he has brain damage as was living in a bulding under renovation and an opening in his wall cupboard transmitts paint fumes. I know nothing about him now, not even how he is doing in his courses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• He needs to see a therapist for sure. It sounds like he's suffering from some form of depression.
    Another option is to have his thyroid checked and check into mono. Beth
    michiganmaiden

Answer by michiganmaiden at 9:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• first off.... both reflux and MVP arent anything that are life threatening or all that serious in most cases. but he does need to see a therapist. he also might have a slight case of Münchhausen....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• MENTAL FACILITY!
    Anonymous

• No offense but have you looked into Munchhausen by Proxy? you seem to have a lot of posts regarding this son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have a 20yr old, and I have one old saying, a Hard head makes a soft A@#. Every heard that? Let go, when they get so stubborn for there own good remember your youth. Allow him to make stupid mistakes and allow him to suffer through them. You can't make him do ANYTHING cause if you could you would have already done it. Let him hit his rock bottom your guilt free you've tried. This is his life. You cannot do anything but talk to him and give him encouragemnt. Stay on good terms with him try not to alienate him incase you have help him (involuntarily) you'll know how to get ahold of him if you need to intervene incase of him being a danger to hisself or others. Don't worry Honestly, he sounds like a typical spoiled Son him being away is good for you and him. you can stop protecting him, and he can realize the error of his ways and will change or ask for help.
    tellis

Answer by tellis at 7:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2008