Breastfeeding, co-sleeping mamas esp. of toddlers, I have a question for you!

My son is 15 months and still going strong on breastfeeding. He cosleeps with me (and when his dad and I were together, we all slept together) and still nurses atleast 3 times per night. I'm wanting to take a trip next summer when he'll be about 25 months old. I know we will still be bfing and cosleeping then and my question is: do you think that is too young to leave him for a couple of nights? Would you be able to or have you left your 25 mos. child overnight for more than one night? We haven't ben separated at night yet, so I'm not sure about it. This is a trip he would not be able to accompany me on. Any insight would be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that is totally up to you... if you want to be able to take a trip in 10 months you have that long to get yourself emotionally ready for it
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 7:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• At one time, a very long time ago, I was all of those things. My son will be 18 in February. My suggestion is to have a couple of trial runs for 1 night before you go out of town. That way if there is a major problem and you are still nearby you can go pick him up. Btw.. congrats on your bf'ing success.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I left my daughter for 2 nights when she was 13 months old and she was still nursing before bed. I left my husband bottles of breastmilk for him to use in case she wouldn't go down without it, but she had no trouble at all...he's put her to bed a few other times and she goes down no problem. It's almost like she knows he can't nurse her so she doesn't bother requesting it, ya know? I agree with the above post - try a night or two before you go away just so you know he can do it, but I bet he'll do fine.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i say start lettin him stay for a few hrs with a family member or close friend you trust to get him use to bein away from him. after a few days let him stay a lil part of the nite and pick him up while he's sleep or let him stay the whole nite. start practicing this and by next summer he will be ready and you wont worry so much.I had to do this with my dd.it was super hard on both us but we made it and now 6yr i could go to china and she be fine as long as i call.lol.you will get there just pace yourself.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We co sleep and nurse and my LO still nurses all night long to. He is only 12 months but we have never left him with anyone for more than 1 hour and only because we were in the hospital. If you have to leave him you have to leave him. If you could find a way to bring him then I personally probably would. But if you can't make sure you are pumping like crazy even up to 2 months before you leave and store everything in the freezer. If he needs to drink at night from his sippy he can at least still get the BM he is used to. Who are you leaving him with? Will they sleep with him to make him more comfortable? If he has to sleep in a crib/pack and play make sure you wear the same PJs to sleep for a few nights before you go and give them to him to cuddle while you are gone. The smell will help him relax in a new enviornment and help him sleep. Good Luck!!
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 10:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thanks for your input ladies, I so appreciate it! He will be left with either his dad or my mom. Either is willing to sleep with him, they both understand his need for this. He doesn't like my milk out of anything other than my breasts, but I will definitely leave some for him.

Miss_Kay

Answer by Miss_Kay at 12:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2010