Questions about ADHD?

My son has an appt tomorrow to be evaluated for ADHD. What are some symptoms of ADHD? And what are all the treatments? And what should I ask his dr? I always get in there and forget what I wanted to ask so I'm going to make a list of stuff to ask. Any suggestions?

maddoxsmama

Asked by maddoxsmama at 6:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• One, most children are told they have ADHD & DONT. It seems more & more doctors are just throwing kids on pills to be done with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention-deficit_hyperactivity_disorder

Many doctors forget that kids are full of engery & just naturally unable to focus for long... I hope the website helps you.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Trouble focusing & staying on task, acting spacey or in their own world, unmotivated. Losing things & being seemingly irresponsible, but also apologetic to the fact. My son and I both have ADHD but without hyper activity.
    My advice would be to go the non-med route, at least right now. The meds can be fantastic, but the body builds up tolerance and ADHD is not something you grow out of. Starting meds young means that your child will be on high dosage by high school. Instead perfect all the tricks on working With ADHD, it can actually be a gift at times. From my own personal experience, medication was much more helpful in college when I could take it only when I truly needed the focus nature didn't give me.
    Be patient, teachers & other parents will complain about your child from time to time. It comes with the territory unfortunately. GL!
    Some info: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_signs_symptoms.htm
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The main reason I am taking him is bc he is mean... Mostly to his little brother but to other ppl too. He hits, kicks, throws stuff. He shoved his brother off the porch. He will be sitting there watching a movie or something and just scream for no reason at all/
    maddoxsmama

Comment by maddoxsmama (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• And yes I really dont want to medicate him. I want to find another way to be able to control him.
    maddoxsmama

Comment by maddoxsmama (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• http://www.child-development-guide.com/adhd-checklist.html

I don't know how old your child is... or what he acts like... but this is a checklist for parents to use that will tell you if your son even has the possibility of ADHD. Also, keep in mind that if he is diagnosed, ask to be referred to a behavioral pediatrician... sometimes what seems like ADHD may be more as the child ages. I would know, I've been fighting that battle for years, and finally got the help we needed 6 mos ago. PM me if you have any questions.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010