New church...

I have been invited to several events at this on e church for the last few years and have been reluctant to go. I have not been to any church in several years. I am technically Catholic. I believe very much along the Catholic lines with a few differences I won't get into. The church is non-denomination... I kind of want to try it but I'm kind of scared. It's soooo big! I have never been to a church that big.... http://www.gracefellowshipchurch.com/

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• when going to a large church it's important to get involved in the smaller groups (i.e. womens bible studies, small home groups/bible studies if they have them etc.)...i checked out their website and read through their beliefs etc and I think you should give it a try....and remember you're not going to get a true idea of what it's like in one service....go to a few events, maybe a bible study or two etc. I pray it works out for you.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If you're really interested in checking it out then go with someone you know that goes there (whoever you got the invite from) that way it won't seem so intimidating.
    We go to a pretty big church, they have all kinds of things they do to help people get to know each other (which is the biggest drawback of such a big church) like small groups, dinner clubs, etc...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree^^^^worst that will happen is you want go back
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• wont*
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You never know until you try. I say go and if you do not like it then just do not go back.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 8:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Going to a big church can be scary at first, or at least it was for me, and now a few years later, nearly everyone knows my name and I know all the hallways and where classrooms are. Oftentimes I have to direct others to the correct location. =) But it might be because I'm involved in church activities. It could be the same for you.

These invites you've received...have you received them from friends? Or have the come for you in the mail? I get a lot of invites from several churches in our area, but I'm completely satisfied w/ mine. But I tend to think the mailers are advertisements, not personal invites.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 4:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• From friends. 3 in particular. None of them know each other though. It's that big.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You have nothing to lose by trying it. I agree that no matter the size of the church, it's all about finding the right small group for you whether that's a Sunday school class, mid-week bible study or choir, etc.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 4:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• well if you really want to give it a try then ask one of the friends to go with you so you dont go alone see how it works if you like it then their you go and if you dont then just dont go its not like if you go once you have to keep going
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010