ADHD?

My son has an appt tomorrow to be evaluated for ADHD. What are some symptoms of ADHD? And what are all the treatments? And what should I ask his dr? I always get in there and forget what I wanted to ask so I'm going to make a list of stuff to ask. Any suggestions?

maddoxsmama

Asked by maddoxsmama at 6:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• there are medications and behavior management therapy
    symptoms - hyper activity - inability to focus - lack of impulse control
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• you should ask what kind of treatments are there other then medication thats what I would make sure to ask
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/tags/adhd-education
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by magnesium (we use a cal/mag/D) and fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Good luck with your doctor's appointment. Please be aware that as many as two-thirds of the millions of children who are on medication for ADD are actually suffering from acute allergic reactions to environmental agents. Removal of certain chemicals or a profound change of diet could solve the problem. These children do not need powerful drugs. My girlfriend's son was diagnosed with ADD and put on Ritalin - she later decided to address his "illness" differently and switched to non-toxic home care products and adjusted his diet - he improved dramatically and is now a healthy and well adjusted 18 year old.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Before agreeing to mind altering drugs, you should have him tested for food sensitivities. A food panel rast test for IgG can determine this. It only takes a blood draw. You should also alter his diet to eliminate artificial colors, artificial flavors, HFCS, & excess sugars including fruit juice. Feed whole foods as much as possible and very few processed foods.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the advice.. They refered him to a behavioral psycologist but since he isnt 5 yet they will not diagnose him as ADHD. I do not want to put him on medication. I just want to know what I need to do to control him and make him back into my loving little boy again.
    maddoxsmama

Comment by maddoxsmama (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Mainstream doctors will offer stimulant medications as the first and, usually, only line of defense in treating (I use that term loosely) your child's ADHD. There are so many underlying causes whose symptoms manifest themselves as ADHD behaviors and you should investigate those thoroughly. Also, it's always a good idea - especially for ADHD individuals - to test for cerebral allergies (delayed food hypersensitivities) that impact focus and behavior and to eliminate anything artificial from their diet and from their surroundings. Dairy was a huge culprit for my son. Also, I know it's common to have these kids referred to a behavioral psych - my own son went to 2 different psychs over the course of 2 years in an effort to learn how to self-monitor his behavior ... it was a total waste of time and money because the real issues impacting him weren't being properly addressed. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My son was referred to a dr and was diagnosed with ADHD. I was just basically advised to keep him busy at all times to wear him out so he wont be so active. What a waste of money IMO.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i'm late, but here's a bump for you!
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010