Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anything I can do about this?

4 years ago, an incident happened where a person went to prison. My mother and I wrote witness statements. On those statements, it shows our social security numbers, address, and phone number. The person who went to prison got copies of those and our socials were NOT blocked out. He now has our socials. I contaced the local authority and they said they should have been blocked out which they were not. Is there anything I can do about that? I don't want him using our socials.

Answer Question

Asked by two_dark_eyez at 6:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • contact a lawyer that is illegal and you can sue them for that if money is an issue find a probono lawyer or one that gets paid when u win.

    Answer by Chrystal1984 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • The only thing I can imagine is one of those safety systems which watches your s.s.#---I can't remember the name. That was very irresponsible. You could probably SUE the police department. Someone you testified against should NOT have your home address and all your personal info. Can we say revenge?

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • i would call a lawyer and ask for legal advice

    Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • I was on hold with the local police department and got hung up on so I will try calling again tomorrow. I don't want to sue, I'm not money hungry but it was very irresponsible of them. It was passed from the policee to the prosecuting attorney to the probation officer to him and none of them thought to block out that information.

    Comment by two_dark_eyez (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • If you have just cause you are able to change your social.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • if you call a lawyer - that doesnt mean you are suing - that means you are having someone tell you what to do - what your rights are.. and you should sue them. he could come kill you. he could do terrible things to your credit. you could say you are no longer safe in that house and they need to pay for you to move. you have been wronged. doesnt seem like you see the scope of how bad what happened is. please call a lawyer and see what they say. they cannot sue them without your support. but you can talk differently to the cops once you know what they owe you...

    Answer by AmaliaD at 7:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • I've moved since then so he doesn't have my new address or new phone number luckily. It's just the social. But I will talk to a lawyer, thank you.

    Comment by two_dark_eyez (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.