are allergies genetic?

I was wondering this bc no one I know in my family or dh family has allergies and so far neither do my kids. For ex. Peanut allergies.

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think so - at least for our family - we are full of them - my mom is allergic to peanuts and eggs and so are 2 off her sisters - we all have seasonal allergies and my son is lactose intolerant and has seasonal allergies - I am allergic to just about everything, grass, pollen, dust, horses..well most animals.... oh and we just found out my son is allergic to mosquitos a month ago - arg.. anyway..for us it seems its very genetic.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• idk.... i know if you eat a lot of something during pregnancy your child is more likely to have alleriges. i CRAVED nuts when preggo and would eat some but not too much for fear of making my kid allergic. and my good friend is italian and allergic to tomato seeds (lol!) but her mom said she ate crazy amounts of tomatoes when preggo with her... seasonal allergies seem to run in families sometimes.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well I got asthma fr my Dad, and 2 GR-Kids got asthma and 2 allergies and 2 migranes fr me. Probably other stuff too, but minor.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would guess that genetics contribute to the likelihood of having allergies. In my case, neither of my parents have any allergies and neither do I. My cousin has seasonal allergies and so does her mom. So with that very small sample, genetics seem to have contributed.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Now that some one mentioned it I think my oldest is allergic to bug bites. They swell up something bad. I have asthma but only other person in the fam was my aunt janet. As for food allergies there are none. Thankfully none of my kids are allergic to chocolate I ate my body weight in MnMs every chance I got :)
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010