My 3 month old is staring to space out heis feedings ( 4 hours, sometimes 5 hours). By the time he nurses my breast are so full that he only wants to nurse on one side. How long will it take for my body to adjust to this? Should I be pumping? HELP!!!

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 9:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never breast feed before, so I dont know how it works,,,But can't you let him feed on one breast for a while,,then flip him over and get him to feed on the other ,,so you will feel reliefe on both breasts.. That pumping between feeding should help too... Good luck

Answer by louise2 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I always pumped when my son started that helped up my supply in the frezzer that way i did not run out and i had back up for emergencys
    Daruth

Answer by Daruth at 10:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i thought my son was doing that too, but it only lasted for a couple days. Then he was back to eating every 2 to 3 hours. I would just pump a little to make yourself comfortable. It's supply and demand, so if you pump it, you will still be producing the same amount and you will have to keep pumping. Just feed off one and pump or hand express a little out of the other. Yes, it can get uncomfortable and you WILL worry about your milk going away, but it won't. Your baby knows what he's doing. Unless he's not wetting enough diapers and not gaining weight. That's when you should worry. Your milk supply will adjust to what he needs. My son only eats one side per feeding and usually only nurses for about 6 minutes, that's all he wants. Then 2 hours later he does the same thing on the other side. My supply is great. You'll be fine.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I am in the same situation right now with my 4 month old. She only wants to eat ever like 4 hours so my breasts are very full when she does. I will pump out a little out of both sides then i will feed her on both sides. Or I will also feed her off of one side and then pump the other. Its really handy to use the pumped milk while im working or while we are gone away where if might be uncomfortable to breast feed. Hope I could help!
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• it will take a few days to adjust to the demand of milk supply. Do not pump, it will make more. pump a bit if you need to relaese some pressure, or a hot shower or compress will relieve some milk and give some relief. I nursed all my five kids so I can relate.
    Momofcinco

Answer by Momofcinco at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• momofcinco had some great advice, it's exactly what i was going to say!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2008