Know anything about Plan B and health clinics?

I have a young friend of the family, 17, and her mom asked me long ago to make sure she knew she could come to me with anything she didn't feel comfortable talking about at home. More or less, birth control and sex. I talked to her about it a year ago and told her my door was always open. This week she decided she and her boyfriend were "getting close" and that she was ready for BC. To my surprise, the clinic not only sent her home with a BC prescription and bag of condoms, but also Plan B. Do they do that now, or do you think maybe she was having an emergency, that's why they gave her the Plan B? I know before I had insurance and went to the county health dept. for BC, if you needed Plan B you could come in and get it immediately, but I have never known them to send it home "just in case". It's been years since I've used those services though, so idk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Most likely they thought that she was having an emergency, I ve never heard them of just giving it to you, or maybe she asked for it?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 7:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Maybe she asked for it in case the other two failed?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would think she would have had to ask for it. I have never heard of them just sending someone home with it.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010