how soon is to soon to get rid of bottles..

my baby will be 1 in sept... i really want to try to get rid of the bottles ... he has never really been attached to a pacy so i dont have to worry about that... but what kind of sippys do i get ... and when should i use them and how do i make him not want the bottle.. he eats normal food...

dsgg229mama

Asked by dsgg229mama at 7:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get the ones with the soft rubbery nipples...
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• get the training sippies now, they kinda look like a bottle
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 7:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• thank you
    dsgg229mama

Comment by dsgg229mama (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• when my daughter was 8 months i took the bottle away she fussed alittle but within an hour she took the sippy cup...the ones with the soft rubbery top...then we just moved on from there
    skyes_mom07

Answer by skyes_mom07 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• All 3 of my kids were done with them by the time that they were 13 months old. I bought the Gerber sippy cups for them. I started giving them juice in a sippy cup before they were a 11 months so they were already used to it. When they turned 1 they got one bottle at a time taken from them and replaced with milk (this was after I changed them over to milk). They did fine with it, the last bottle I took from them was their nighttime bottle.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son was totally off the bottle by 9 months.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I did at 12 months with my youngest and 11 months with my oldest...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yeah, get the sippies with the soft rubbery nipple. Avoid the straw cups............THEY STINK if you put milk in them. If milk goes bad in them once...............FORGET IT!! They will always stink. The throw away straw cups (reusable) aren't too bad, but the insulated ones are a great idea, but that's where it ends..yuck!! I took my daughter's bottle away at 17 months.......her first tooth didn't come in until 11 months, so her teeth were no worse off. Just go with your heart Mama......introduce the sippy cups and show baby how to use it....and go from there. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I had all bottles gone by 6 mos and onto the silicone spout by Nuby and Fisher Price. Those were gone by 12 mo and then onto the straw cups by Nuby. They are amazing and don't leak unless they have a hole chewed into them. The disposable straw cups are so not worth the trouble. My DD has crushed the straws and has also figured out how to take the straw out and dump the liquid and make a mess. I wish you luck no matter which way you go.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son's was gone by 8 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010