To the girls that their DH's have had a vasectomy. I want to hear from your DH'on this.

I am trying to talk DH into getting this done after we have one more baby. He said no at first and now he says he will think about it. I want your DH's to be honest. But what is it like getting it done. How much pain were they in after they had it done? Any info at all they would like to share about the procedure? Thanks!

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in About CafeMom

• He had it done 18 years ago. He volunteered to have it done, it was his idea, and it was on of the best decisions we have made in our 25yr marriage.. lol

Here's how he described the pain: Like getting kicked in the balls. That residual ache that you get when you get kicked in the balls, that's what I felt for about 2 days... Ibuprofin was enough to deal with it.. The procedure itself wasn't bad, the worst part for me was some guy holding my balls in his hands (LOL).. I got a local, a small incision, tube cut and tied, bandaid,, done.. Took less than 30 minutes. Went home, put a package of frozen pees on my nuts for awhile. And that's it. Like I said, I felt like I had gotten kicked really hard in the balls for a couple of days, and that was about it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Hi, this is her DH
    The worst part was that it was embarrassing having my legs up in stirrups and the doctor kept talking to me during! I was uncomfortable for about 3 days,but the pain was all but eliminated with Motrin. I had to wear a jockstrap the first couple of days and there was a little bit of bleeding the 1st day,like a few drops I guess you'd say from the cut he made. I was back at work within 5 days and was feeling almost normal again. I drive truck for Pepsi for a living and sit and lift alot and I felt fine when I went back to work. Having not to worry about getting her pregnant was pretty sweet!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• thatnk you ladies for allowing your DH's to answer my question for me lol.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My husband had this done while I was pregnant with our second child. It was his idea since the down time for him was so much shorter and the procedure was much less expensive. The doctor gave him a prescription for some kind of "relaxation" drug. He took one on the hour for three hours before going in. He remembers very little from the procedure (however, I remember him being very willing when the nurse offered to help him get dressed afterward - it was a hoot!). The pain was a lot less than he expected, he only took Motrin the first day because I insisted, in fact, he was up driving that evening (not recommended, however, because the drugs they had given him before the procedure made him a little loopy and he got lost). He had two doctors, one with way more experience and the side he did never bothers hubby, the other side will hurt once in a while, but not bad. His advice: get a Dr with experience.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010