Where do you live and how expensive is life in your town? How are you handling it?

We live in Manhattan but life here is way too expensive for us and we are looking to move anywhere in the US (since we both work from home).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• i live in the dc suburbs. life is expensive here too, plus we are one of the hardest areas hit by the housing nonsense. so our cost of living is high, and we have negative equity. it sucks
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We just moved to North Hollywood and our cost of living is really high too. I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get a really good job IN Hollywood.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Long Island, NY. The suburbs are great for raising kids but the cost of living (owning a home & taxes) are very high.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• northern virginia - CRAZY expensive!!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I live in downtown Portland Oregon.. Not as expensive as Mani-Hati, but our cost of living in my zipcode is nearly 25% higher than the national average.

Our housing cost in my neighborhood is high, you can't touch a 2 bdr house for less than 500k, hell you can't even touch a 2 bdr condo for less than 500K. lol Other parts of Portland are not as expensive as downtown is in regards to housing. Like anywhere else: location, location location... hahahaha

We do not have a sales tax in Oregon, we file state taxes just like we do fed. Our family's tax rate is 9% for every dollar earned.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Eastern PA...average....but a lot cheaper than NY an NJ!! Property taxes and auto insurance are HALF of what we were paying in NJ--same insurance carrier in both states and best tier rating.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I live outside Cleveland. Cost of living is not so bad, but the region has been devastated by the mortgage meltdown and job losses. It can be a depressing place, but it has a world class hospital in the Cleveland Clinic, a theater district second to Broadway, one of the best Art Museum in the country and a beautiful lake... oh and then there is the whole Lake Effect Snow machine! LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We live in the Los Angeles South Bay area....we decided to move to Wyoming a few years ago because we figured the cost of living was so much less.....and in a lot of ways it was. Housing prices are lower, gasoline too....but wages were much lower as well, and healthcare was much more expensive.....we found that it pretty much balances out. I'm happy to be back home in Los Angeles. I've been a stay at home mom for years, and just got hired for a part time job making much more than I'd have made in Wyoming, and my husband makes about double and has benefits that save us much more than the benefits could save us in Wyoming. I loved our great adventure, but happy to be back home......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We're in Northern Utah and our cost of living is super cheap here. Our rent for a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bathroom apartment just went from $400 a month to $425.

Plus we've got tons of farms near by so milk rarely goes above $2 a gallon and it is possible to get cheese for $1 a pound.

The down side is that the jobs don't pay very well. Such is life right?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I live on Lake Sam Rayburn in Angelina National Forest, East Texas. Love it here in the woods. Things are pretty cheap because there are no people or jobs here. I work from home, as well. Love it here. Very beautiful and peaceful.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 12:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2010