Is it possible

to thin your own hair?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• you can go to your stylist and tell them to thin it..but i dont know about at home...if you find a way please let me know though
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• why would you want to thin your hair it will hurt you in the lonq run
    Lovehurts1

Answer by Lovehurts1 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You could go to Sally's and buy the scissors the beautician uses.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My mom had a pair of scissors which were specifically for thinning hair. It had special teeth to it. I don't know if it has a special name though.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• LOL, how could it hurt me? I have extremely thick hair. haha
    kristinas8

Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't do it myself. I go in once every 6 mos to have it done. My hair is super thick and and causes neck pain. Good luck and this is something that you really should pay someone to do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• if you aren't sure what you are doing, your best bet is to go to a stylist.. it's just the price of a typical cut.. if money is an issue try a local beauty school.

There are a few ways to thin your hair, from layering to thinning shears (which, unless you know how to use I wouldn't use.. in proper use can actually make it appear like you have MORE volume), to slide or slither cutting, and there are even some razor tecniques that can help you thin your hair..

but unless you know how I wouldn' tdo it yourself. If you slide or slither cut wrong, you'll end up with notches in your hair making it uneven.. if you layer it yourself you could end up with a mullet if you don't know what you are doing, I could go on with what you could do to completely jack it up..

like I said, rather than spend the money on a good pair of shears etc, go to a stylist and pay 5-30 bucks and have them thin it.. they know what they are doing
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• trust me, I didn't spend $11K to learn nothing.. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yup...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would try to do it myself. I would go to a beautician
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010