I want to wean my 3yo off of breat feeding, HOW???

He's 3 and he won't quit it!! He screams his head off every time I was no. Once, we went 12 days with no breastfeeding and he cried his eyes out every time he was hungry. Then he had a fever so I caved and here we are again. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• im sorry i wouldn tknow how to tell you i had to bottle feed for medical reasons but heres a bump good luck
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• How often is he on the breast? Will he take it in a cup?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Do it again and don't cave.

You can put some large bandaids on your nipples and tell him your boobs are broken and won't be better until you have another baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Sorry, I had to formula feed due to health problems, but good luck!
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Oh lord, this sounds like it's gonna be me asking this question in a year! My daughter is 2 with no signs of quitting breastfeeding. Good luck mama!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• *hugs* It's a comfort measure for him to nurse so perhaps a replacement will work? It doesn't sound like it's going to be easy no matter what and since you've caved once it'll be double hard this time. Live and learn. If you can cut him down then do it (my daughter only nurses before bed so the next step is to stop when she's ready). Make sure there's a bed time routine and a special blanket or stuffed animal or pillow that he can have. Or you can do the "you're a big boy now" and make it a ceremony like a graduation. Remind him all the wonderful things he gets now that's he's three that he didn't get when he was 2 when he wants to nurse and that this is just another step forward. Make it positive and give him the attention he wants without caudling him. Consistency, communication, and love will make this the easiest trasition.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• SleepingBeautee's idea is great!!!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Keep your boobies locked down, your boobs lock down! (sung to the tune of "Love locked down" Kayne West")
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i made up a song when my son was 1 and i was weaning him. it went "boobies, boobies, boobies are for babies. little baby boys and little baby girls. babies like the boobie milk.... makes them grow big and strong. sure beats milk from a can!" it goes to the tune of 'taxi' by david winestone (sp?).... a song we heard on nick jr. and i just changed the words. it might sound stupid, but it worked really well. o and don't give in!!! i know it's tempting, but really it's not helping either one of you!!! gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I went through the same thing with my 2yr old. What ended up happening was he caught the stomach virus and was put on the brat diet. Then I was put on meds due to a bad double ear infection. When that was over he was weaned.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010