How did you teach your kids to write? Am I forgetting anything else?

My son is 4 1/2. He knows all his colors, counts to 15, can identify all the letters of the alphabet and numbers 1-10. He knows all of his shapes including octagon and pentagon. He knows his full name as well as mine and DH. He knows the city we live in and the street we live on. He is fully potty trained and can dress and undress himself. He is sounding out letters and words almost evertime he says something, they may not always be right but he is definitely making a great effort. Like he will say ca- ar or ta-oy. The problem is getting him to write his letters and words without the help for erasable flashcards. He can trace them all very well but can not write them on his own. He has never been to preschool or daycare and only has one more year before I can send him to preschool. I plan on getting more educational material to work with him on but I was just unsure if I was missing something he should be learning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1. Start with simple letters O, I,L, T H and slowly increase to the difficult letters.
    2. Let him write on large paper, no reason to "stay between the lines" at this age..
    3. Try to get him excited about writing-- let them get interested in it.. DD is almost 4 & has learned to write on her own. She ask me how to spell something & can write it without help... She learned to write (no help for spelling/writing) her name (Bree), mommy, daddy, nanny, dog, cat, Meme @ 3.5yo.
    4. I think the leapfrog writing pad helped my dd become curious about writing.. Also doing fun projects with drawing.. Painting, Shaving cream. colored gel in the bag is cool..
    5. A Huge Doodle Pad is awesome! My dd will take a doodle pad & then put a laminated card on it & trace the card. when she picks the paper up. there is her letter.
    But HIM being interested in most important. Maybe start with drawing circles, squares, ect.. then move to letters.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yeah, they have to know how to write their name when they go to kindergarten. i just held my son's hand when he was holding a pencil, crayon, marker, chalk.... whatever, and we wrote it together. he knew how to spell his name first, then we wrote it together (alot of reps every day), then he was brave and started trying to make letters on his own. he's starting kindergarten on monday and i hope that he will learn how to write the rest of the alphabet as quickly (he also knows how to write all the numbers, but i haven't really worked on the alphabet that much).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I used a big Everything You Need to Know Kindergarten workbook. Writing is learned by repetition. So they start with straight lines, diagonal lines, curved lines. I worked on each letter upper and lower case. We did one letter everyday. You trace the complete letter, you trace the dotted line letter and you write the letter...many times. I also went online and got his name on a printing worksheet and made tons of copies of it and he did those everyday too!

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I had practice letter templates that showed them how to form the letters and as they became proficient, I wrote their first and last names for them to copy. I would help them hold the pencil/crayon hand over hand, and state the "instructions." For example, in making an uppercase "B"--"go down, up, bump around and bump around." Something easy and melodic.

You can buy the red and blue "writing" tablets they use in lower grades at parent teacher or teacher supply stores. They even make a dry erase board with the lines--so you can save a few trees!

I also taught them to only use "2 fingers and a thumb" or "pointer, tall man and thumbkin!" LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i gave mine crayons, helped them a couple of times, most mostly i just gave them a blank peice of paper and let them go. soon their doodles were letters. the first letter they make is an o and i made such a fuss over it, hanging it on the fridge telling them it was great. that soon they were trying the other letters.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• also there are these things you can print out online that helps them learn hand control..
    it starts with just drawing a straight line across the page... then a wave. then slants ... (sorry i tried finding a link & cannot find one to save my life for some reason!)
    Dot-2-Dots are cool and teaches them the shape (a bingo dotter to "dot" large letters)..
    also doing dot-2-dots (using numbers 1-20 to create a picture) helps learn hand cordination..

Sing a song while u teach the letter.... The letter A "down, down, across" ... B "Big Line, bump, bump" ...
    Check out "letteroftheweek.com for some ideas too :) there is tons of preschool sites out there.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010