Do walkers delay walking?

I've hear that walkers can delay your baby from walking. I was thinking of buying my daughter a walker, I liked the idea of seeing my little one walking around the house, but I don't want to delay her walking. She is 6 months old now and is starting to crawl. Has anyone else heard of this? is it true?

iri24

Asked by iri24 at 5:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • Canada has actually banned them. Yes, according to my sons Occupational Therapist they are bad! sorry...try a activity station. She was also against the jumpy bouncy swings.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• This kinda scares me! My daughter LOVES to be able to move around by herself in it, however, i have noticed that when she tries to walk on her own, she leans forward like she does in the walker. I can DEFINITELY see how it could hinder their walking.
    gin5690

Answer by gin5690 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• In order to walk in a walker they lean forward, so they're not learning the proper way to balance in order to walk on their own. They are also a huge safety risk. All it takes is for you to tur your head for one second and they can go over, I've seen it happen to other kids. For my son, who always loved to stand, I got one of those Jumperoos, so he can jump in place, strengthening his legs, and works a little better on balance and he loved it!!
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 11:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• my son is a little over a year and he loved his he is up and walking and has been since around 10 months i think that if that is all you do with the little one then it prob will but if you hold them up and help them learn to stand and walk i dont think that it will slow it down thats just wat i think
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My 11mo loves his walker. I was advised not to use one but once he became mobile he hated his exersauser. I only put him in it when I'm trying to get things done and don't want him getting into everything. He's not walking yet, but is starting to stand and cruises around furniture. As long as they are not in it too much, I don't see it hindering walking, but I'm not a doctor!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• sOME PEOPLE THINK THEY DO, AND SOME PPL THINK THEY ARE DANGEROUS.  BUT IF U WATCH THEM,  AND KEEP THEM FROM STAIRS, THEY'RE FINE.   NOW, THYE DID NOT DELAY WALKING IN EITHER OF MY KIDS, BUT DONT LET THEM LIVE IN THEM YANNO?  THEY WILL GET THE IDEA THAT IF THEY MOVE THEIR FEET, THEY MOVE.  SO, ALTERNATE TIME IN THE WALKER, AND FLOOR TIME, AND THEY WILL WALK.
    babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• my daughther had one and she was walking at 11 mos. my son was quicker.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2008