I need a party planner!

I am hosting a 4th birthday party for my son at an indoor party place. Other places we have gone have had a party planner there to coordinate all the children. (This year they are 4yrs old) This place does not have a party planner so I will have to do it myself. Problem is that I am NOT very good at corralling children or keeping the party going. Any advice? Should I interrupt the play for cake and ice cream and then let them go back to playing? Or should I wait until the end and let then have all the kids do cake and ice cream and gift opening? It is only a 2 hour party... We are having a super hero costumed guest as well... help!!

cadesmom3

Asked by cadesmom3 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Personally with 4 year olds, if you are not going to serve food I would do cake and presents at the begining of the party. They are less likely to be crabby and grabby during present time and then they'll have a full 2 hours to run around and burn off the sugar before the party ends. Believe me the parents will thank you for not loading their kiddos full of sugar right before returning them to their rightful owners. ☺
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• There are moonbounces that the kids are going to play on and I am afraid that if we do Cake 1st then they run the risk of vomiting with all the running and jumping! That would NOT be good. Maybe I will stop them 1/2 way through and let them eat cake and then continue on... so nervous for this event. I know that the kids will have fun and that is all that matters.. One other thing that aggravates me is the lack of manners that some of the parents have... not RSVP'ing.... how rude!
    cadesmom3

Answer by cadesmom3 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• WEll if you do cake as the very first thing... liek as soon as every one is there and then do presents you should have a good little bit before anyone is bouncing around. That shouldbe adequate time for tummies to settle. I think it would be very difficult on you to try to stop thqa tmany 4 year olds half way thru their play and they'll be irritable and not want to sit still. Can you recruit a spouse or some other parents to help you coraal everyone during hte party?
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2008