How do I incorporate cereal into my daughters schedule?

My daughter is 4 1/2 months and I am going to start her on cereal. I know she is ready. I just am not too sure how to incorporate it into her schedule. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

brookelyn252

Asked by brookelyn252 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try giving her cereal with every other meal, cereal first bottle second
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well I started putting the rice cereal in my daughters milk at night. I eventually just gave her cereal before I gave her a bottle. :] Hope that helps
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 8:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, I would like to suggest that you wait until at least 6 months, but you said that you know she is ready. If you must, I would do it maybe in the morning mixed with breast milk/formula and definitely spoon feed it. Maybe about a tablespoon at first....no more than that. That's a good start. That's how I started my daughter...but not until closer to 7 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Wow, my DD has gotten cereal since she was 1 1/2, but she had a lot of teeth. umm, i would say give it to her as a hard snack first so she is use to it, like you would do those snacks at walmart, take them on the go and stuff and see how she handles it. I would say cheerios first because they are small and healthy. Then would work from there into adding milk and stuff. if your child needs it soft try with milk first.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i mix the cereal with breastmilk once a day , just a litte bit , on the afternoon , dont use the bottle and do it in a high chair
    violetlady

Answer by violetlady at 8:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I just started feeding mine a little before a bottle, once a day. It doesn't really matter when, but only a little once a day, then gradually move up from there. I liked to do it in the evenings, so they slept better.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Rice cereal is not healthy for babies, it's convenient. It keeps the baby "satisfied" longer than regular breast milk, or infant formula because it stays on the stomach longer. Baby sleeps longer because there's this 'brick' in her stomach that her body needs to use more energy to digest, so she sleeps, and we think she's better off. Not so, first of all with all the processing, rice cereal is primarily sugar and starch (which gets further broken down by the digestive system into more sugar) and protein, and very little else of nutritious value. Babies are born with "leaky gut." It's just how they are made, as they get older, they're gut's integrity becomes less leaky, but as little babies, this 'rice brick' that is just sitting in they're little stomachs is allowing the aforementionedproteins to leak through the gut into the baby's blood stream. Foreign proteins in the blood stream cause the immune system to react which leads
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• to inflammation. This inflammation leads to all kinds of problems: allergies, and in some extreme cases, auto-immune issues.

Of course, not every baby will react this way, but why take the chance? We don't want to take the chance, so we only give our babies breast milk until they're ready for solid foods, and then the first solid we give is usually a mashed banana, or mashed cooked squash, or carrots, etc.

We actually skip any type of cereal all together as part of the stage of introducing solid foods.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I started in the am after her bottle. I will soon st a lil veggie in pm.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010