I just found this question on my local news website. What do you think?

Should parents of college students caught violating school alcohol related rules be notified?

I think no, unless the student is under 18.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You can sure tell who has had a college- aged child from those who have not! FYI-doesn't matter who pays the tuition, a parent has no right for ANY info with regards to their student and college. No right to be notified if they're failing, sick, busted for drugs or alcohol. You will have zero rights to info- you can see their grades if they show them to you, that's it. All info is password protected and the parent has no right to that info.

Give them the wings to fly in HS, so you know they're ready to RESPONSIBLY take on independent, college life.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• no I don't see why the parents should be notified. like you said, unless they are under 18, they are adults. And I'm sorry, but any parent that thinks their child isn't at least trying alcohol once at college is a bit delusional ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Unless under 18 no! Although NC has a ZERO Tolerance policy on underage drinking so students get sent HOME. There's a notification for you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• They'll be glad if that's ALL their kids are trying in college.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with you, if they child is under 18, then yes. If they are over 18, they are legal adults and it's up to them to tell their parents or not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If the parents are paying for the students education then yes. I'm not sending my kids to college just to get hammered and go to parties I'm sending them there to get an education. I would espeically want to know if they are under 21
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• nope. they're adults. high school students, yes. college students, no.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well if the child is under 18 then absolutely. However, if the parents are paying for the tuition and everything then they have a right to know.
    I agree with mommy_of_two388, I'm not going to pay for my kids to get wasted and get themselves booted out of college.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with you!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• What are the consequences of breaking the rules? Is it just if the college catches them or have they been busted by the cops? The legal age here is 18, so there would be no legal consequences and I'm not sure of the local U's alcohol policy. It still makes no sense to me that someone can be 18, old enough to vote, fight in the military, become a cop and enforce the law that says they aren't old enough to drink.

But should parents be notified? Nope, I don't want my kids to be going to college and getting wasted all the time either, but I have to trust that I've taught them well enough in all the years leading up to that, that they won't make poor choices (or at least not too many)
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010