Migraines from hell! Please help!

I have had migraines for a few years now. Sometimes there not that bad, and other times I feel like I'm going to die, my feels like its going to explode. I have seen different Neurologists and other doctors, and nothing has worked. I have tried so many medications, over the counter prescription, natural, home remedies, changing my diet, exercising, yoga, meditation and aromatherapy, even the shots in my head and neck! Nothing helped. I have not tried botox or hypnotherapy, my insurance will not cover that. Its to expensive for me to pay out of pocket. I don't know what to do?! Its been 3 weeks and this migraine is not going away!

beaniesmommy04

Asked by beaniesmommy04 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Health

• I don't know what to tell you except find a new Dr. Drs. are not all the same and a different one might have better insight. Have you taken Percogesic? It is otc and worked for me (3pills)pretty well. Good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Did you have any blood work done? Sometimes it is a warning sign for other things. Do you have a hormone imbalance? Sometimes that is a trigger. I have heard of this Doctor who did facelifts and because of where he sliced and restitched is actually helped some of his patients that suffered from migraines. It was as if maybe he sliced the nerves that sent the pain signals. I couldn't imagine getting botox... they'd have to shoot up my whole head!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Itsmesteph11 ~ I had never heard of that. I'm gonna see if I can find it. I truly believe that to ease the pain, it requires an antihistamine, just as what is in Percogesic. I think most of the pain is caused by inflammation, at least thats how it feels!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• possible food issues can cause migraine.  "Migraine Headaches triggers can be :Alcohol, cheese, chocolate, nuts, wheat, citrus fruits, tomatoes, MSG, nitrates, eggs, milk. http://www.allergyescape.com/food-allergy.html

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i started having multi-weekly migraines when i started regularly drinking sugar free drinks... they magically disappeared when i cut aspartame out of my diet. immediately... stay away from all synthetic sugar if you don't already. refined sugar isn't good, but that crap is WAY worse.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• which prescription meds have you tried? Does imitrex work for you?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Magnesium deficiency is a common cause of migraines; I take a cal/mag/D daily. I also avoid my trigger foods: nitrates, MSG, chocolate, nuts

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You sound so much like me right now....i took so many different blood tests, MRI's, CT scans, if its a test you name it and I took it....so finally the doctor prescribed a prescription for me called Elavil. I went from migraines everyday all day to none at all....The doctors say its a medicine that is used to treat chronic migraines in patients....hope this helps...please update because i feel so bad for you i have been where you are now and i know the feeling....i wanted to just roll up in the fetal position everyday and just cry because i was in so much pain...hope u feel better : )
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Have you ever thought about trying- Acupuncture? When everything else failed for my Depression & Anxiety; my dr. talked me into trying it- It was like a Miracle- I hate needles but, they are paper thin & you could only feel them when he turned them- i had them from head to toe, i even had one in my ear for three weeks while my dr. was on vacation- I promise you it is worth looking into- i went a few years ago, they didn't except insurance then but, i think alot do now- it actually wasn't real expensive- maybe $35 to $45 a visit- i promise it will help you & you will feel like a New Woman!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have had migraines for 13 years now. It took me a long time to learn how to manage them. In the beginning I didn't even know that's what they were. It wasn't untill 7 years later that I realized they were hormonal. I didn't pinpoint them to my time of the month because I was having 2 different times during the month that they were occuring. When I discovered that womens hormones spike and drop 2 different times during her cycle ,it finally dawned on me when to expect the migraines(kind of ...sometimes one comes from nowhere it seems) Knowing when your migraines are likely to hit helps so you can prepare to take the medication as soon as possible. I have found that only migraine specific (triptans--I think they're called) medications only available by prescription is the only thing that works for me. Excedrin migraine works in a pinch to take the edge off but it doesn't completly work for me. more in next post........
    christina259

Answer by christina259 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010